Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by armondo1771: Drink Package

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Drink Package

Sail Date: April 2014

Four of us sailed to the Eastern Caribbean on the Celebrity Reflection's (departing 4/12). It was probably my 10th cruise; most of them on Carnival or Princess. I was in Cabin 8183, and the other couple was in 8185. At our request, and they removed the partition separating the two balconies, which was very nice.

I read several reviews before we left, and I agree with the consensus. Beautiful ship with great food and service. The question I was really wanted to answer, however, was whether it was worth it to upgrade from the classic alcohol package to the premium package. I had a great perspective, because my girlfriend and I upgraded, while my brother and his wife did not. My girlfriend is 42. The rest of us are between 50 and 54. There were a few kids, few teenager, and a crowd that was mostly 40-60 (with more over 60 than under 40).

The Reflection is not a party ship. I like the classier, quieter feel, but there is also something to be said for Carnival Booze More cruise. Anyway, we are not big drinkers normally, but on vacation, we tend to drink a lot. Our booking included the classic alcohol package, and it was $11/day, per person, to upgrade.

The whether-to-upgrade question is a mixed bag. For my girlfriend and I, it was a no-brainer and I'm glad we did it, and for my brother and his wife, I don't think they felt at all deprived. For the most part, it doesn't make any difference. Yes, you get upgraded liquor, like Kettle One vodka instead of Absolut, but really...who cares about that. The only reason to upgrade, in my opinion, is because two of the cooler bars on the ship--the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar--are essentially "premium drink" bars, so if you don't have the premium package, you can't drink there. Both bars make creative (and delicious) drinks, and while not partaking wouldn't have been the end of the world, I would have been disappointed. If it was $20/person/day, it might be a closer call, but at $11 day, it was an easy decision.

If the classic package isn't included in your booking, and if you're a "regular drinker", I'm definitely spring for it. Yes, I know that Celebrity wouldn't see if if they didn't make money on it, but not dealing with the paperwork, and not worrying about the bar bill, was a huge, and pleasant, change for other cruises I've taken. Some of the people on board were paying by-the-drink, and every time I saw them sign a receipt, I remembered how nice it was to just hand them my card. As someone remarked in a prior review, when you have the alcohol package, that card feels like magic. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>