Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by lsymonskwak

Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sun
Member Name: lsymonskwak
Cruise Date: April 2014
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Norwegian Sun April 2014 Amazing cruise for family with fantastic Crew

This is my family's 2nd cruise. Last summer we went to Alaska with a different cruise line. We booked this cruise a month before we left, something we have NEVER done before. Thankfully, it was to our advantage. Kids sailed free for this cruise! We traveled all day from the middle of Canada to Miami and that was the only downfall as my husband and eldest daughter don't do well on planes. We stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from a really cool market square, near the Miami Heat stadium. It wasn't the newest but was adequate. They even kept our luggage for a few hours before our cruise as we shopped. We embarked the ship around 1:30 p.m. and it was so easy! We were greeted by a Sun crew member and steel drum band! It was so exciting! Everything went well. Our luggage did take a few more hours to get to our room but it wasn't a big deal. Lunch was waiting and we toured the ship. All the crew members were sooo friendly and eager to serve. Their job is hard, so we always try our best to make it easier for them and treat them with the respect they deserve.

Our cabin was large and perfect for our family. Next time we would ask them to make one double bed instead of two single beds for my husband and I! LOL My daughters loved their beds and shower was powerful and bathroom spotless everyday by our cabin steward Michael...thank you!

The ship is not huge, which is a bonus. It was big but we could get around easy enough. The entertainment was superb! There was a variety of things to do. My daughters and I went to the cruise director, Richard Matic's dance classes every morning. He is such a fantastic teacher and great cruise director. If you can, try and book a ship with him on it. His entire team was great!

NOTE: One thing we really, really appreciated was when we disembarked and embarked at each port, the entire "Fun" crew and heads of all the departments...hotel, food and beverage, chef, etc. were ALWAY there dancing to the music greeting us. No other ship we saw at the ports did this. We felt so special!!!

They had an amazing children's program although we didn't have our kids in it because they wanted to spend time as a family. We met a family whose girls went to the kids' club rather than get off at the ports! That says a lot!

The food was great! The dining rooms in the restaurants and the waiters and waitresses were fun and quick with our food. The food was so good and a great variety to choose from. We don't drink, so the night life/night clubs are a mystery to us. I would HIGHLY recommend the SUN for your next cruise. Norwegian freestyle is the way to go.

We loved all the ports except Columbia, although beautiful, it was way too hot and kind of a waste of time since we only went shopping for 2 hours and went back to the ship because the humidity and heat were too much for our kids. It was very safe for the most part if you stayed in the walled city. The only complaint was the taxi fare. You feel like you are being ripped off with a 5 minute drive costing $20 each way! WAY too much money for what we saw and did.

Already planning for another cruise with Norwegian. I recommend a 11 or 12 day cruise. Seven is way too short.

Running/walking track on deck 6: This was my favourite activity! I LOVED running around this deck everyday. I even saw the Captain walking around visiting with the passengers! How COOL is that and friendly!

Norwegian was very affordable and the reception crew was very fair with our final bill. Best holiday so far!

Publication Date: 05/13/14