Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by lsymonskwak: Norwegian Sun April 2014 Amazing cruise for family with fantastic Crew

lsymonskwak
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Sun April 2014 Amazing cruise for family with fantastic Crew

Sail Date: April 2014

This is my family's 2nd cruise. Last summer we went to Alaska with a different cruise line. We booked this cruise a month before we left, something we have NEVER done before. Thankfully, it was to our advantage. Kids sailed free for this cruise! We traveled all day from the middle of Canada to Miami and that was the only downfall as my husband and eldest daughter don't do well on planes. We stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from a really cool market square, near the Miami Heat stadium. It wasn't the newest but was adequate. They even kept our luggage for a few hours before our cruise as we shopped. We embarked the ship around 1:30 p.m. and it was so easy! We were greeted by a Sun crew member and steel drum band! It was so exciting! Everything went well. Our luggage did take a few more hours to get to our room but it wasn't a big deal. Lunch was waiting and we toured the ship. All the crew members were sooo friendly and eager to serve. Their job is hard, so we always try our More best to make it easier for them and treat them with the respect they deserve.

Our cabin was large and perfect for our family. Next time we would ask them to make one double bed instead of two single beds for my husband and I! LOL My daughters loved their beds and shower was powerful and bathroom spotless everyday by our cabin steward Michael...thank you!

The ship is not huge, which is a bonus. It was big but we could get around easy enough. The entertainment was superb! There was a variety of things to do. My daughters and I went to the cruise director, Richard Matic's dance classes every morning. He is such a fantastic teacher and great cruise director. If you can, try and book a ship with him on it. His entire team was great!

NOTE: One thing we really, really appreciated was when we disembarked and embarked at each port, the entire "Fun" crew and heads of all the departments...hotel, food and beverage, chef, etc. were ALWAY there dancing to the music greeting us. No other ship we saw at the ports did this. We felt so special!!!

They had an amazing children's program although we didn't have our kids in it because they wanted to spend time as a family. We met a family whose girls went to the kids' club rather than get off at the ports! That says a lot!

The food was great! The dining rooms in the restaurants and the waiters and waitresses were fun and quick with our food. The food was so good and a great variety to choose from. We don't drink, so the night life/night clubs are a mystery to us. I would HIGHLY recommend the SUN for your next cruise. Norwegian freestyle is the way to go.

We loved all the ports except Columbia, although beautiful, it was way too hot and kind of a waste of time since we only went shopping for 2 hours and went back to the ship because the humidity and heat were too much for our kids. It was very safe for the most part if you stayed in the walled city. The only complaint was the taxi fare. You feel like you are being ripped off with a 5 minute drive costing $20 each way! WAY too much money for what we saw and did.

Already planning for another cruise with Norwegian. I recommend a 11 or 12 day cruise. Seven is way too short.

Running/walking track on deck 6: This was my favourite activity! I LOVED running around this deck everyday. I even saw the Captain walking around visiting with the passengers! How COOL is that and friendly!

Norwegian was very affordable and the reception crew was very fair with our final bill. Best holiday so far! Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 4308

Our cabin was on the 4th floor and situated perfectly! It had plenty of room for 4 of us. The mirror made the room feel and look larger since it was an inside cabin. The safe in the room made us feel secure and the TV was perfect before bed and while getting ready for the day. The shower was so strong that we didnt' need to stand in there very long to get the soap out. Makes a huge difference. Lots of closet and shelving for clothes. We were close to the Seven Seas restaurant, on the same section as the Buffet, Stardust Lounge, although many floor below. We took the stairs every chance we could and found out cabin was perfectly located to get to all the entertainment and food. We only had to walk a long hallway to get to the Gangway when disembarking at the ports but since that was on the 3rd floor, it worked out perfect for our quick disembarkment. The sea was very rough and my husband and eldest daughter got sick. Being mid-ship and on the 4th floor was perfect as we couldn't "feel" it rock as bad as the upper levels.

The beaches are amazing! The shopping very reasonable! We LOVED this port. The bus ride to Eagle's Beach was VERY cheap...$1.25 one way/pp. The only downfall was that we got in late and only had about 5.5 hours in such a beautiful place. We arrived after 1:30 p.m. and had to be on the ship at 7:30 p.m. It was dark about 6 p.m. so the market was too dark to shop. We did get some great deal though and they had similar prices at the port shops, which was great because it was close to the ship and we felt very comfortable. The water at the beach was so warm and clear! My only complaint...not long enough. I wish we would have skipped Columbia and spent from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Aruba. LOVED IT and might go back for a holiday.

Read 686 Aruba Reviews

Although a beautiful city, I wouldn't recommend stopping in Cartegena, Columbia. It was way too hot and since it wasn't a beach day kind of port, it could have been missed. If we do this one again, we stay on the ship for that day. My girls and husband enjoyed the walled shopping area but it was so hot that it made for a very short and expensive trip by taxi ride. We felt bombarded by the vendors and although we did buy things for what they asked for or a bit less, we felt bad for them as that is their way of life. I would have much more enjoyed a longer stay at the next port than Columbia. It was a great thing to show our daughters how other people live.

Loved this port as well and would recommend anyone to go if your ship is going this way. We walked around in the morning but the shopping wasn't as great nor cheap as Aruba or Columbia. We were kind of disappointed with the high prices. It was like shopping in Europe or North America. The best part was Mambo Beach. We had to pay to get in and pay for the chairs but WELL worth it! We got there kind of late so that was our fault. I recommend going early because this beach was sooooooo warm and the water was crystal clear. There was a cove that my two girls and I swam out to and this was amazing. The cove helped calm the water. Curacao has a walking bridge or a boat that takes you back and forth to the shopping. It was fun for us to walk over. LOVED this port!

Read 503 Curacao Reviews

One of my favourite ports! The shopping was great, the beach was beautiful! Our girls got their hair braided and swam in the water. The beach wasn't the best for calm waters and the sand wasn't like powder in Aruba, but it was HOT and sunny and the view was amazing with all the 6 cruise ships and the houses on the hills...breath taking. We had to rent the chairs but the place we rented from was $20 like everywhere else for 2 chairs but with ours at "Dan's Chocolate Factory" from New York, we got that as a credit toward lunch and we had to eat anyway so why not? Great day overall. It is close enough to walk to the beach. DON'T take the sea taxi as it is a rip off when you can walk in about 10 minutes. Very modern and cultural at the same time.

Beach Break

Beautiful island! We are thinking of going for a holiday! We went on an excursion and then shopped. Wish we had more time here although, we know it was a long day. Beautiful view of the ships in the port owned by residents. So hot and sunny. Loved everything about it.

Snorkeling

(5)

This was our last and final port...boo! We went snorkeling with Virgin Breeze at Turtle Cove. We only saw a few small turtles but it was a fun experience. My husband cannot swim and he even tried to snorkel. The equipment was suffice and the life jackets were great! We only went for 1 hour so my only complaint is that it be longer. They took us to Honeymoon Bay, a secluded beach that is a little piece of paradise! We only got to stay for 1 hour and that was NOT long enough. They served free drinks on the way out and in. It was a great excursion. We were able to go back to the ship for a quick shower and lunch and then shopped around the ports and found some great deals. Overall, highly recommend this port! Beautiful!!!