Celebrity Century Cruise Review by DCSpooner

Member Name: DCSpooner
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

AVOID - Ship is being decommissioned for a reason.

Upon boarding the ship, my husband and I were in high spirits. We are microbrew fanatics and had cancelled an identical itinerary departing out of SF on another line in order to experience the Beer Festival At Sea that Celebrity was offering (our first Celebrity cruise). Even though we are from Northern CA, we felt the drive down to LA was worth the experience we were going to have with Celebrity.

First, our luggage was lost. OK, no biggie. Then, when we entered our cabin, there was a very loud scraping noise in the room. It sounded like a desperate raccoon was trying to escape from the (metal) ceiling. We asked a Guest Relations (GR) rep to come check it out. He said it was normal air conditioning noise. Ummmm .... no. We knew this was bonkers, so we walked down to the GR desk to discuss with them, and lo and behold there was our luggage, dented and broken. We didn't complain. Raccoon ran away later that day. No one ever told us what the noise was.

Stayed out until 2am the first night and at 6am we were woken up by the captain's announcement regarding the tender process. (It was later discovered that the intercom in our cabin was on, and the announcements were piping directly into our room as if it were an emergency announcement). We were told - every 30 minutes in English, then Spanish - that we needed to get a tender pass from Deck 7(?) before heading down to the boat. When my husband went to get a pass, he was told there was no wait, so we could proceed directly to the tender boats. We went to our cabin for my purse and jacket and 5 minutes later, at the tender boat, were told that we needed a pass. We were then assigned to boat 11. The tender boats were taking approximately 20 minutes round trip, meaning we would be waiting for at least 1.5 hours. Apparently they had an "unexpected rush" of passengers, according to the 12-year old crew member handing out the passes.

The next morning we were treated to construction on the boat while we tried to enjoy our breakfast. Nothing says "relaxing" like metal-on-metal hammering.

At the second port (of five) the brewers who were running the "Beer Festival at Sea" (which turned out to be four beer tastings from two breweries ... TWO) missed the boat's departure after their SF pub crawl and that was the end of the Beer "Festival". Beer Mini Block Party would maybe have been a more appropriate title.

For the next several nights, that metal ceiling I mentioned creaked, bent, ticked ... did everything you would expect metal to do if you try to bend it out of shape. Maybe the raccoon was actually trying to re-engineer the ceiling. Maybe he was the last passenger in Cabin 8111 and he knew what was coming: It was not only disconcerting, it was impossible to sleep. My eyes were so red that werewolves would have run in fear. We missed 3 of our last 4 dinners due to exhaustion, and would not have attended the last night but we absolutely loved our servers and wanted to thank them personally for their hospitality. The food in the dining room was exceptional, as were the margaritas at the Pool Bar.

We asked for a new cabin daily, and on the next-to-last night were finally given one. We had one night of blissful sleep (14 hours) and tendered into Catalina the next day feeling relieved. The next morning when we docked (rather than tendered) in Ensenada, the gangplank opened directly under our window at 3:30am. Of course it did.

We have since been told that the ship is being decommissioned within the year. NOT SOON ENOUGH. We listened in on others' complaints while in the (long) GR desk lines and everyone was complaining about things not working, being loud, moldy, rusted, broken, etc. The Century is a hot mess.

I wish I had known that the Century was a cleverly disguised sleep-deprivation experiment before we booked - so I am sharing. If you are looking for a relaxing, raccoon AND racket-free week at sea, please choose a different ship. As for me, I believe I will choose a different line.

Publication Date: 05/12/14