Carnival Elation Cruise Review by MGL Elvis: April 28, 2014 Cruise to Progreso and Cozumel, Mexico

MGL Elvis
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

April 28, 2014 Cruise to Progreso and Cozumel, Mexico

Sail Date: April 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

Embarkation Day was Monday, Apr. 28th. We had spotty sprinkles throughout the day but cleared by the time we were ready to leave port at about 4:30 PM. The trip down the River was smooth sailing. Once we hit the Gulf of Mexico, we experienced a slight rock and roll of the ship all the way to Progreso. Not so bad that you couldn't stager down the hall ways or isles, lol. Our first day at sea was a time to find out where everything was located. I quickly appreciated the size of the ship in regards to walking distances.

The Elation really surprised me as it was the smallest ship I have sailed so far (Conquest & Sunshine). It is a beautiful ship and I really loved the layout of everything. With the exception of Guest Services and a couple of other services located in the Atrium area, Everything else was on Decks 8 & 9. On deck 10, Lido, was the pool and sports areas. We had Karaoke every day and it was very enjoyable along with the Superstar LIVE Karaoke 2 nights. Carly More was our Karaoke Host and she did a fantastic Job.

Steve was our CD and he did a fantastic job also. He was making sure people knew what was going on and made sure people were having FUN. The rest of the crew were great too. My Room Steward Rosuaro (Ros) and his crew did a great job keeping my cabin fresh and ready at any time. In the MDR Imagination, I was fortunate to be seated in the same area every night for diner even though I was Any Time Dining. My Service team, lead by the Team Headwaiter Fernando, did a superb job. I was greeted by name at every dining experience. Any request I made was promptly fulfilled without question.

My day in Progreso was probably my worst day. It started off being an overcast day as we docked at the world's longest pier (4 miles long), Thank God they had free shuttle service into town supplied by Auto Progreso. Once we arrived at their bus station, the day went downhill from there. I did not have an excursion booked and was planning to take the city double-decker bus tour for only $5. Well, I asked where I could find the bus and due to language issues got sent in the wrong direction. I did get to see about 4 square blocks of downtown area before I stopped a cop and got directions to bus. Lo and behold the bus loading area for the Double-decker tour was right at the rear entrance to AutoProgreso's Station.. Hmmmmmm! Well boarded the bus and I was only one there, We sat for 30 minutes and operator finally came to me and said they needed 6 riders to go and offered me a refund which I took. Being tired and hot I went back to the ship and showered and relaxed the rest of the afternoon.

The next day we docked in Cozumel. This was my 3rd time there and took a small excursion to Discover Mexico Park & Taco Tasting. This was very enjoyable and will have pics posted. Did a little gift shopping before returning to the ship. Later that evening I was invited to be the Star Contestant on the Showtime Production of "WIN". Ryan was a part of the Entertainment staff and was a great guy and made the experience awesome. The Dancers and Singers were all great and so friendly. Along with our CD Steve, the show as great. WIN is a takeoff of the old game shows like, Let's Make A Deal, Dating Game, Match Game and Price Is Right. After playing the games I won the top prize which was a trip to Las Vegas and the final act was coming on stage as Elvis in Vegas. It was a great show and I hope to post some video of the performances.

On our final day at sea, I took the Fun Behind the Scenes Tour of the ship and it was great. Did have a lot of stairs up and down and that was a bit much for this old man but I made it. Saw so much about the ship didn't know before. My best part was the Galley and meeting the Captain on the Bridge. That Galley is amazing!!

I have to say that I met some great people on this cruise.. 3 Sisters who were a riot and so many others that were happy to see Elvis. I have to mention one very special young lady, Baylee, this young lady was my biggest fan at karaoke and about the ship. She is 6 1/2 years old and even sings a bit at karaoke. She is definitely a sweetheart. I had dinner on our last night with her , along with her family chaperones. I presented her with one of my scarves and a karaoke disc of some Michael Jackson and Elvis Songs that she can learn. We had a great time that night at the final karaoke. I know she will have very fond memories of this cruise.

Overall, It was a Great Cruise! Would I do it again? You Betcha!

Arrived back in New Orleans on Sat. May 3rd and since I had FTTF was off the ship by 8:15 and got home by 8:55 AM. Ah Home Sweet Home! posting pics on my other page. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation U 131

Cabin was on the upper deck #6 and was very well taken care of. My Room Steward Rosuaro was fantastic and made sure my room was always fresh and ready at all times. Only thing I wish the cabin would have had would be a frig.