Disney Magic Cruise Review by Mama vaca: Not a magical cruise

Not a magical cruise

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Just got back from 4 night cruise to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay aboard the Disney Magic with husband and our toddler daughter. First off, this was our first cruise on DCL but 4th cruise overall (all other cruises were on NCL).

Pros: The animator's palate restaurant show was really cool. I was told that this was the first sailing with the new show since there had been some glitches that needed to be worked out after the initial launch after the dry dock last fall. Also, our stateroom host was exceptional! He was very kind, caring, and always went out of his way to interact with my shy toddler. Our room was always clean and tidy and my daughter loved the towel animals! Getting on and off the ship was also very easy! We also had a lovely brunch experience at Palo. It was also nice not to have alcohol pushed at every venue.

Cons: Too me, the ship felt small, had a poor layout, and was very crowded as it was a sell-out. To get anywhere, especially around dinner time, it More was hard to navigate through the crowds. Also, our stateroom deck 6 mid ship had many of the mysterious creeks, cracks, and rattling going on, especially in the evenings. Our bathroom also had that awful sewer smell come and go. Also, we were disappointed with the lack of Disney service. From guest services, room service, tram drivers, nursery workers....no service with a smile....they just didn't look like they enjoyed their jobs! But perhaps the biggest disappointment was the food and the service at dinner time. Our waiters kept calling people at our table by the wrong names, despite repeated corrections. Also, after dinner on 2 different nights, we were given dessert menus and then told when ordering that they had run out of desserts we wanted to order. I don't know why they wouldn't tell us that when handing out the menus and how do you run out of desserts at the first dinner seating? We also found that if you don't like seafood, then there are really limited options on the menu for you. On debarkation morning, we were told we had to be at breakfast at 7. Unfortunately, no one told our waiter this and he didn't arrive to take our orders until 7:30, with no apology for his tardiness. Our assistant waiter (who only takes drink orders), tried to get other waiters to take our orders but no luck. Our thought was that they already knew what kind of tips they were getting since we had given the tips envelopes the night before, so why do their jobs.

So, It pains me to have to write this negative review but I know that I appreciate reading positive and negative reviews when planning vacations. Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>