Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Snoogums: Norwegian Breakaway from New York in April

Norwegian Breakaway 3
Snoogums
Member Since 2014

Norwegian Breakaway from New York in April

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Pros: Ship is beautiful. Restaraunts and entertainment at night fabulous. I loved Second City and le Cirque de Soliele. They have interactive screens on every floor to book and see activities. Keep in mind if a restaraunt is booked, you can do a walk by and you will most likely get in eventually. Maybe not so much for the Japanese restaraunt because settings are limited. So if you really want to go to Teppanaki, you should book ahead. It is very nice. Cagneys was my favorite. It is a steak house and the cuisine is impeccable. If you don't mind eating past nine o'clock you usually can get a table, otherwise it is always booked.

Cons: Leaving from New York is not the greatest idea, unless you want to be indoors for a few days. This cruise is at sea 4 days. The first day is freezing, windy, maybe 60 degrees. So the outdoor climbing, etc was closed. All the pools were also closed on the 1 st day. So what are you suppose to do with children. I have a 7 year old. We went to a More jacuzzi in the back of the ship that was not busy, we're sitting quietly and were told it was for adults only. Even though the people in the jacuzzi didn't mind we were told to get out.

Than we went to the main part where all the pools were, which were closed. There were 2 jacuzzis for kids, two for adults. The adult jacuzzis were full, as well as the kids jacuzzis. The kids jacuzzi had 15 kids in it. They opened up the pool finally around noon....but kids were not allowed in the pool. Ridiculous. There were no adults getting in that pool it was too cold outside. The security was chasing people out of the pool with their whistles it was crazy. I went in with my daughter and also was chased out by the whistle guy. I did not read the signage, but she was allowed in the pool with me, so I vacated the pool. I was pretty upset at this point. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they have jacuzzis and pools for adults only. The kids are jumping into the jacuzzis with their googles, etc. ..you can imagine. But to limit the pools on the ship I don't agree, especially when there are no adults around who want to get in the pool. Also I pay the same price for her as me, she should have access to all facilities. We are prisoners on the ship and the outdoor activities are all closed for the kids what do they expect them to do. Yes there is a kids club, but I am on vacation with my daughter, so I have no interest in going to the kids club with her. Also the rock wall was never opened during the day, mainly at night when you are going to a show and dinner.

So all in all. I would never do this cruise again. Too cold, not enough pools for kids, Btw the kids pool is poorly designed. You have to sit on a bench in an aquarium type structure. Very un appealing. The"adult pool is nicer. Not recommended if you are a water person and like to swim and enjoy the warm weather. There are really 3 days of miserable cold weather and that is in April . I can't imagine taking that cruise in the middle of winter.

This cruise is good if you don't mind being limited to indoors for part of your vacation. And also a note to anyone who is prone to motion sickness. The cruise from the Atlantic to the carribbean can be rough because of the gulf coast, so a word to the wise, beware. Less

Published 05/10/14

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review:

The room was nice small, but as expected. Nice bathroom large shower. Really nice to have a balcony. We were on the side that had the sun in the afternoon, it was beautiful, I think it was port side. I really would recommend a balcony. The room service was impeccable. We were on the 12 the floor. Our room was cleaned 2x a day. There were always fresh towels and chocolates at night.

A private island owned by Norwegian. They do a nice BBQ and have a few beaches. Lots of lawn chairs. The beach is a little rocky, not as bad as I read. One thing I noticed was broken green glass on the beach. I noticed people were drinking Heineken beer in bottles. Not sure how smart that is to serve glass bottles on a beach. Anyways be careful where you walk. I didn't see a lot, and maybe it is isolated. But, you don't want to cut your feet while on vacation. All in all a nice stop.

Went to atlantis and hung out at their beach for the day. You can book through the cruise or head over on your own by taxi 4$ per person each way. I do not recommend the water taxi, just that it only leaves every 30 minutes, it is a 10 minute walk to atlantis. You waste an hour by water taxi....if you don't mind it is a nice way to get to paradise island. The water taxi and car taxis are the same price.

Read 2997 Nassau Reviews