“Subpar for HAL”

Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

We just took the 7 day Mediterranean Glamour Cruise, which was a disappointment. This was my 4th HAL cruise, and I don't know if I'd cruise with them again. Within 5 minutes on board, I noticed what I perceived to be significant wear and tear on the overall condition; I was shocked to hear this ship is only a few years old. I was certain it was ready for a significant update. The decor seemed extremely subpar for HAL, as if they chose budget fixtures and decor for everything; it seemed dated and of low quality.

During the cruise, I felt nickel and dimed to death over everything from charging for water at the dinner table, unfathomable wifi costs, and for goodness sakes, the "corkage" fees to bring wine on the ship, when we are in ITALY for heaven's sakes! I know many of these extra costs are standard cruise fees that crop up, but considering how many little things have been added over the course of my first cruise, it felt excessive.

The food was okay. Nothing truly special; if the dining room was a restaurant back home, there would be nothing to distinguish it from any other. The Lido got old very quickly. VERY crowded, always with a coffee machine or ice machine broken and out of service, long, long lines at the beverage stations, and it seemed to take 20 minutes from the time I got my food, until I could actually gather everything I needed from the various crowded stations and find a seat.

The cabin attendants and the service staff - as always, excellent. The sweetest, hardest working folks around. They saved our cruise experience. We did private excursions every day, except for one day with a planned HAL excursion. It was cancelled, since our day in port in Tunisia was cancelled. The private tours are cheaper and infinitely better than the giant bus tours. The only reason we booked with HAL for Tunisia, was due to safety concerns. Better to travel in a pack, from what I've heard.

Overall, this experience soured me so much, I'm not sure I will cruise with them again. That is an unwelcome outcome that I never expected.

Eurodam Cruises to the Mediterranean

1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Eurodam Review
Eurodam Cruises to the Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?