Arcadia Cruise Review by Provogirl: Review of Arcadia

Review of Arcadia

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

The embarkation went very quickly and smoothly. We waited in the buffet restaurant and had lunch while we waited for the announcement that the cabins were ready.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. We were very pleased with both the food and service. Our waiters were very friendly and ready to cater to our every wish.

Our cabin steward was also very pleasant and helpful.

We are not British but were totally accepted and felt very comfortable. I enjoyed trying British desserts. We had concerns about our passports being kept but understand the rules. It was stressful when we had to pick up our passports in the morning before our tours and return them in the evening. One day I changed the time of our tour as I knew we would not have our passports on time. All the passengers were warned they need to carry their passports in Venice and Dubrovnik. We were told we might not get back on the ship if we did not have them available for inspection. We were warned about More £3,000 fines in Venice if the police stopped us and we did not have them.

The ship itself has no Wow factor, particularly no grand staircase. There was a bad smell, like a bathroom smell, throughout the cruise, particularly at Whitehall, the art area. I had to hold my nose when I walked past that area. I expected the ship to look sparkling, as it had just come back from dry dock. The railings on the balconies were in need of staining. The decks are named after places and the pictures artwork in the hallways reflect that . There was one blatant error as Canada deck had a picture of Alaska hung in a hallway and as the ship is American owned,they should know Alaska is not part of Canada.

The entertainment by The Headliners was the best we have enjoyed on any of our 11 cruises with various cruise lines. There were two comedians who each performed two shows. You had to get to the theatre early after the first dining or you did not get a seat for the popular shows.

The lecturer, Tony White, gave a series of talks on drugs, and we found him very interesting. There were not a lot of daytime activities which appealed to us but we are quite content to amuse ourselves.

The Internet, as expected, was very expensive. We had a problem logging off and lost 40 minutes of time as their logout page said I was logged off but that was not so. You had to be careful as Safari would say you were not on the Internet but the log off page did not appear and you could not see a summary of minutes used.

We enjoyed the tours bur wished longer tours had been offered, particularly in Gibraltar. We did not particularly enjoy The Sicily port but the tours were good. We were happy we were touring this time of year as some places had too many tour groups already and you could not move in small rooms. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>