Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by phackney

Member Name: phackney
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Interesting experience, very professional crew

This was the first cruise for our family of 5 (two adults, 6yr, 9yr, 11yr old children). There were 4 sea days from Sydney to our first port of call, Port Villa in Vanuatu.

The ship was large, with 2500 cruisers (about 950 of which were children). There were two main dining options, a buffet type place with perhaps 8 different options, and a sit down 3 course meal restaurant. The food and service at both these locations the food was pretty good. There were a few other miscellaneous options for eating, including a couple of places where you could pay around AU$40 for an extra special meal - I didn't try this so I don't know how good the food was.

Because there were 5 of us we had to be split between two cabins (they call them "staterooms" but they are just cabins!), as there were very few cabins available that could hold 5 people. This was ok as we were only about 3 cabins apart. The cabins were fine, but we didn't spend that much time there, lots of other things to do.

The entertainment was extensive, with comedy, trivia, dancing, shows, music and many other things. It was certainly enough for me for the first 8 days of my trip, although I have to admit that I was getting a bit tired of it over the last two days - you might want to take a few books with you in case your interest flags.

All the staff were excellent and very professional - I think this was the aspect about the whole trip that impressed me the most.

Moving onto my brief impressions of the 4 landings we made.

Port Villa, Vanuatu - quite poor and run down, big potholes in the roads, we were constantly approached by locals offering services, didn't like it much

Mystery Island, Vanuatu - nice place, reasonable snorkeling

Lifou - looked like a pleasant enough island, but no taxis available so we were stuck on a sub-standard bus tour (no English spoken, no commentary, just dumped at a couple of locations, then back on the bus)

Noumea - arrived on a Sunday, City Centre totally dead, could almost see tumbleweeds rolling down the streets, but we had a great tour on the Tchoo Tchoo train, which showed us some much nicer parts of the City.

Publication Date: 05/08/14