Grand Princess Cruise Review by BigLil: Good cruise - disappointing food

Good cruise - disappointing food

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Francisco

Embarkation very quick and smooth. I was impressed by the efficiency of it all. Was in stateroom by 12.30. Started sailing on time but due to a medical emergency, stayed in the bay for a while. Finally went under the Golden Gate Bridge at around 6 o'clock.

Cruise overall was very good but food was not as good as on previous Princess cruises. Lots of fish which I don't like and I have to say that some of the steak was on the tough side. Choices in the Horizon Court at lunchtime we're not wonderful but the International Cafe and Alfredo's Pizzas on deck 5 were really good. We had wonderful table mates in the Botticeli Dinning room and we opted for second seating which surprisingly is at 7.45 on this ship. Our waiter, Mario, and his assistant, Ninja, were great.

The daily lectures were very educational and also very entertaining. I particularly liked the lecture on Route 66. The lectures were held in the theatre and it was almost full every day.

There was also More lessons in Hula and ukulele lessons from a very nice Hawaiian couple.

The activities organisers were very visible and overall performed well. The guest entertainers were not as good as I had hoped but the Princess singers and dancers were good although one of the shows was held in the Vista Lounge which made it difficult to see dance steps.

Honolulu was our first port of call and we went on the ship's tour of City highlights and the USS Arizona Memorial. I'm glad I did it as it was very moving. We later took the free Hilo Hattie's shuttle to Waikiki Beach which was just as I expected.

In the next 2 Islands we simply got off the ship and wondered around (Tender for one of them).

On the big island we took a tour with Scott from Apau tours. He was a great guide for the volcanoes national park and he also took us to Rainbow Falls and showed us turtles on a black sand beach. I got his name through previous cruisers. I can thoroughly recommend him.

Ensenada was a disappointment. We were only there for a short while which was long enough. There were lots of beggars and children trying to sell things. I really didn't feel safe and got back to the ship as soon as I could.

Disembarkation was easy. We had a late flight and Princess looked after our luggage to allow some time at Pier 39 before we got on our transfer to the airport. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess C305

Very nice cabin but noises from the crew access door just across the corridor. This was used by the room service people delivering breakfasts as well as the storage for the stateroom stewards trolleys. We got used to the noise after the first couple of days. Nice big balcony. All of Carribe deck have bigger balconies.