Ruby Princess Cruise Review by vernonct: Great cruise!

vernonct
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Great cruise!

Sail Date: April 2014

We have cruised with Disney three times and Royal Caribbean twice. This was our first Princess cruise and I have to say that we were very pleased.

To start, check in was smooth and easily organized. The boat itself is beautiful. I personally liked the largeness of the boat as I did not really notice any motion. We left out of Miami headed to the Cayman Islands and Cozumel.

Day 1 was a Sea day. My main issue with Roycal Caribbean ( and why we wont sail with them again ) is that their Sea days are just awful. There was nothing that we could do as a family. I was super disappointed in them the last cruise we went on. Now with Princess…. We had a family scavenger hunt on day 1, I signed my daughter up for a kids cooking class on our last sea day, they had trivia (free) and a host of other activities planned for us to participate in. As a note, my daughter did the kids cooking class with Royal C and for $45 she came back with one (literally) mini cupcake. At More Princess, for $25 she came back with a cake, and when I say a cake, I mean enough food to feed 10 people. It was all frosted, strawberried, etc. I would highly recommend this class to families traveling with children!

The other treasure we found was a Tranquil Spa area on the ship. The passes are $79 BUT they only sell 40 of them. With 3000 people on the ship this can be a nice area of refuge. They have hot stone beds that you can lay on and a nice aroma steam room.

Things I liked on the ship:

1. The pools – there are two of them and I feel as though, similar to RC they are pretty on par with this. They were clean and we were able to find adequate chairs. Although people did, every day, violate the signs and leave chairs held unattended for hours, I don’t know that they can do much about that.

2. Movies Under The Stars – Super fun! I would bring a sweatshirt since it can get windy at night but they pass out warm milk and cookies during the movie!

3. The cabin – Clean, and our stateroom attendant was awesome!! We had a nice balcony and it was close to everything.

4. The Kids club – In my opinion, on par w/ Disney and better than RC – they had a lot of great activities that they wanted to do and on Easter they had an easter egg hunt and gave the kids Easter Baskets and did face painting. The room itself was pretty nice and well organized and appeared clean.

5. Food – As with any cruise you can be expected to be fed every 30 or so minutes. The food here was very good I thought. On par w/ Disney, better than RC. They had a really nice selection and everything was enjoyable. We had anytime dining so our sit down dinners were very nice as well. Service was great and food was delivered promptly.

6. The gym – nice equipment and everything seemed clean

7. The entertainment – This was okay… Nothing I was blown away by. We saw the comedian who drew a few laughs but overall this was not a “must see” – the illusion show was about 3 tricks and that was it, so I was surprised that this was the case but overall it was okay.

8. LIttle touches. One thign I will say si that in they tried to really do things to keep you happy. In the Caymnans it was super hot out and we ha a tender boat. ON the way back they gave everyone coled water, which I thought was really a nice idea

Things I thought could be improved:

1. The elevators – Like with other crusie ships you can have a wait. Therefore I receomend unless you want to spend a chunk of your vacation climbing stairs, get a room on the higher floors. We gave up quite a few times and just climbed the stairs up or down. Luckily we were on deck 15 so we didn’t have to go from 2-15 daily but if we did that would have been a headache.

2. The laundry room – First of all, I am just glad that this ship has a laundry room. You can imagine our surprise on Royal Caribean last year to find out they did away with them and you had to use your laundry service ( which cost us $50 for a few t-shirts and garments ) Anyhow the laundry room was clean BUT unlike with Disney, you don’t use your room key to operate the washer / dryer. You need quarters. This would have been fine if we knew that ahead of time but we lugged all the laundry to the laundry room only to find out that we had to bring it all back upstairs and find a few single dollar bills ( the machine only takes up to $5 ) and bring it all back. They could certainly make that an easier process as other ships have done.

3. Excursions – We had an excursion in Cozumel to Xcaret. We were really looking forward to this and it was the most expensinve excursion we had ($129 a person ). The cruise said it ran from 9-5 that we would be there. We did not get to Xcaret until 11:45. Then our meeting time was 4PM. Plus, no lunch was included ( $30 a head for the buffet ) So I felt a bit mislead with this one. The Xcaret park itself is lovely but $129 a person for 4 hours and no lunch was a bit of a rip off. I did speak with customer service about it and they just directed me to the Excursions people and since I didn’t want to spend all day in another line ( which is exactly what I am sure they were hoping ) I just threw in the towel on that.

Overall this was a great experience. I thought the staff was great, the ship was great, everything was very enjoyable. We had a few hiccups but again, I feel as though I had to really dig to find anything wrong with this cruise. They are a great cruise line from what I can see and we will be returning! Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>