Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by cdscooby1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by cdscooby1
Brilliance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Member Name: cdscooby1
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Brilliance of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans
Happily Surprised

First off we splurged and booked a Grand Suite. Yes it is worth the money. The extra room and the extra space was great for this family of 4. We had the Concierge Lounge and the Concierge Willy, ( who was amazing) available to us. We had a cocktail party every night from 5-7 PM in the concierge lounge. Willy, the Concierge helped with reservations and questions. On the morning of departure we went to the Concierge Lounge to meet and have breakfast. When our number was called Willy took us down by private elevator and we got to go to the front of the line to disembark. Totally worth it. Our Suite attendant Adrianna was very nice.

The boat itself was redone recently and looked beautiful. The entertainment staff was funny and nice. The 70's dance party in the Centrum was very crowded but lots of fun and laughs. I especially enjoyed the kids dancing in the elevators. The pool area was nice but of course there are the chair savers as every cruise has. The pool deck enforcement people did nothing about it. Hint if it's just a towel sit down and take the chair. The last morning at sea I was up on the pool deck by 8:20 AM and there was hardly any chairs left. I watched people stop by for 5 minutes and put magazines etc on the chairs to make them look taken only to disappear for 2 hours. I will say the one thing I missed on this ship was a promenade. The Centrum seemed to tiny for the shows they put on. I did not like being on a higher floor and looking down I prefer to be part of the party. The Centrum for these shows was always packed.

The Casino was horrible. I did not run into one person who won anything. I tried a few tables and lost, same with the slots. We pretty much just avoided it and judging by the lack of crowds in the casino most people stayed away. Another problem was the smoke from the casino drifted up throughout the boat at night so the entire boat smelled as if someone was smoking. I thought they would have had better ventilation for the smoke.

My twins are 13 so they went to the teen club. They enjoyed themselves but felt that they did not have many planned activities for them. They were a small group of kids and seemed to all get along very well. For 2 thirteen year olds to say they felt under supervised that kind of tells you something about the teen club. I understand they are older but they still need someone around to make activities happen or they become bored and then they get into trouble. Thankfully besides dancing in the elevators frequently they were all good kids.

The Dining Room was blah. The food was flavorless and boring and service was very slow. We opted to eat in the Windjammer on 2 nights just to get a better selection of food. Unfortunately we decided to eat in the Main Dining Room on the last night and my kids said it was the best night in the Windjammer. They had make your own pizza stations as well of lots of other things. The Park Cafe was great for lunch and late night snacks. They do have the roast beef sandwiches there but having traveled on the Oasis twice the Oasis has a better Roast beef sandwich. I don't know why but it's better.

Some of the elderly people were annoyed with the children running around on the ship. As a Mom I heard the comments and kept quite. I thought all the kids on the ship were very well behaved. I think some people are just cranky. As for the comment someone left about the Gumbas who were loud from NY or NJ ha ha they were a very large obnoxious group from Tampa. I was stuck with them everywhere I went for the first 3 days. They drank to much and were loud and rude and very obnoxious. We even had the displeasure of having them with us in the Muster drill and that is why it took so long because they would not shut up. Thankfully on day 2 at least half of them disappeared and then by day 3 we didn't see any of them. We were hoping they got off the boat. Anyway my point was don't assume because they were loud and obnoxious and had Northern accents that they were from NY or NJ, they were from the Tampa area. They screamed it at least 100 times the first day back and forth across the boat.

All in all I would say this was a great cruise. I wish it had lasted longer. I was worried after reading some of the reviews that it would not be a good fit for my family. Everyone had a great time and would love to go back.

Publication Date: 05/06/14
Read the Western Caribbean ports review by cdscooby1
More Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Brilliance of the Seas review Read the next Brilliance of the Seas review

Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review