Crown Princess Cruise Review by rustanddust

Member Name: rustanddust
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Tarnished Crown....

We were on the Crown Princess and the Coastal 4/5 thru 4/12 and invited guests to join us for their first cruise, what a mistake! First, We arrive at the dock, we were met by a person from Princess telling us to leave and come back in 3-4 hours as there was a problem with the ship, but it was being corrected and we could check our bags, and we would be loading in 3-4 hours and we would be told at that time what the problem was . My Wife and our friends stayed as I went to go get lunch and bring it back as we were not going to board for hours. When I got back, I was informed they were boarding...we proceeded to check in we told to wait in the waiting area before the metal detectors.

As we sat and waited we were then told the Fire Dept says the building is beyond capacity and to leave! We stayed, then later they started calling groups, not 1 then 2 then 3, but rather groups 1-7. A mad rush of pushing and shoving! Then they call groups 8-12 (we were 10) we were pushed and shoved thru and told FASTER FASTER!. Once on the ship were were told the ship was having a Norovirus issue! I have a a non contagious autoimmune disease and this would have been very helpful to know BEFORE I came on board not after. Once we made it to our room we were told to go to the muster station for the drill. All but one of the elevators were reserved for luggage and our friends, one of which uses a cane and my Wife who has bad knees were told they had to use the stairs, if they had a problem call the front desk so we were herded down the stairs to station A.

After we made it back to our room, we found our luggage 50ft down the hallway. Things continued to be "off" with this Ship. On Monday, were given a paper to fill out regarding disembarkation information, rather early in the cruise I would say! While watching Movies under the Stars the film ended 15 min before the end of the film, no explanation, they just shut it off. On Tuesday, our friends, whom we invited to join us , ordered coffee on the deck, when the person brought it he reached for the tray, the server told him "is this your first cruise?" he said yes, we are here with friends, the server then told him "perhaps your friend should teach you proper etiquette"! We told them this was NOT like our previous cruises on Princess.

One other significant problem was when we went to the Trident grill to grab a burger as the food in the restaurants was bland, and the buffet food was uneatable, when I had ordered, the cook finished my order then took my Wife's and started preparing hers, after 10 minutes of waiting for condiments (we were not allowed to do it yourself due to the virus outbreak) my Wife asked if he could serve me, he then put up his hand to her in a "stop" motion, the stomped off. We walked away but did find a person on deck to report it to.

On a lighter note, when we were in Port at Ensenada, we walked to the little market on the shore where the Celebrity ship was docked, the store keepers were wearing masks, one of the Celebrity passengers said, they are wearing masks because of those people on that other ship, that gave us a nice feeling.

Friday night in our room my Wife started feeling sick, but did not say anything because we were getting off the ship at 0800 and figured it was nothing. They the dropped off a questionnaire asking were we had ate for the past week, only half the form was missing. The next morning my Wife went to the urgent care, yup, she has what they believe to be Norovirus, so she is now off work for at least a week and I have it now as well

This was our third Princess cruise, and this crew seemed to just be annoyed about being there. I contacted Princess and was sent a form letter that made no sense stating they were glad everything went well ! I then called the corporate number and was told I could complain but it would do no good. We will NEVER go on the Crown again, and with the response from Princess's corporate may look for a new cruise line

Publication Date: 05/06/14