Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by shenay

Member Name: shenay
Cruise Date: April 2014
Public Rooms 5+

April 21, 2014 - 5 Night

Embarkation: It was a breeze. We took a taxi from the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale and were on the ship within a half hour even though the Terminal was VERY busy! We headed straight to the H2O Zone for the kids to play, ate at Windjammer and then headed to our room for the kids to nap and to unpack.

The room: We had an Aft Facing Junior Suite on Deck 10. It was LARGE...plenty of room for the 4 of us, plenty of storage, and the fold out couch was better than expected. I had no worries about the kids falling off in the night because of the way it was set up. Being aft has its pros and cons. Pros: giant balcony, quiet hallway, extra calories burned from the long walks to the room. Cons: Some vibration when going into port. I noticed it most at Labadee (it woke me at 4am). There was also an intermittent banging noise occurring at 1am, the source of which I never discovered. We got used to it. The balcony is also completely covered. This could be a pro or a con depending on the weather. For us it was a slight con.

Our bags: They were at our room by 2pm.

Services: We sent things out to be pressed and they were back in the room as promised by the next day at 5p in time to get to formal night. Our room steward was very quiet, but efficient, helpful, polite and did an awesome job on our room. Thanks Alvin!

Excursions: The one excursion we booked got cancelled. The surf lesson we had booked ended up getting rescheduled by them. My husband and daughter rode the roller coaster on Labadee and really liked it. We didn't end up getting off of the ship at Falmouth (we'd been there before and the kids had no interest).

Dining: We did My Time Dining with reservations EVERY night and had the same table and wait staff every night. The food was better than I expected, but the service was slow and not super attentive. I don't ask for much, just some common courtesy/politeness, but even that was lacking at some times (some mumbling and eye rolls witnessed). We ate in the dining room for breakfast for the character experience and that was nice and our server was very good for that. We ate at Johnny Rockets for one lunch (on a sea day), had no wait, decent service, and good burger joint food. We had lunch from Sorrento's on the other sea day and my kids LOVED their pizza. They also like Little Caesars...enough said :) I thought it was good enough to have 2 slices! Breakfast was eaten in the Windjammer most mornings and that always had good variety and we never had trouble finding a seat.

Entertainment/Activities: My kids are 6 and almost 5. In spite of this, we were able to catch, "In the Air." It was awesome and the kids loved it. We saw the Dreamworks parade (arrive early if you want a good spot), the ice skating show (also awesome), took a cupcake decorating class ($15/ea, but very cute), took a surf lesson ($70 fee for about an hour of 3 or 4 on 1, and was a lot of fun), and met several characters out and about. Very kid slanted, but that's how it goes...

Kids Club: My 6 year old went twice for a total of about 3 hours and my 5 year old went once for 1.5 hours. They didn't think it was particularly fun, but that was probably because they didn't get to go in the same room/group. Or because they had more fun with us (see above paragraph) :) I was somewhat taken aback by the tone the one staff took with the kids (not using manners, just barking orders).

Fitness: The track on the ship is 4.5 laps = 1 mile. This is pretty large for a ship (not promenade deck) track. I was happy with it, especially since I used it before 6am when it was still dark and people weren't yet laying out. I can see where it might be annoying if you run after 9am on a sea day, unless you were practicing for hurdles. The equipment in the fitness center is not the best. There is a variety of it, but it's not taken care of in a manner that you'd expect from a regular gym, more like a hotel gym (which I guess is what it is, so...). The views from the gym are nice and there are plenty of weights. TRX straps are only available to you if you take a class with a personal trainer and there are no kettlebells. But there are plenty of medicine balls and stability balls, some plyo boxes, steps, mats, and a wide-open fitness room, so you have no excuse not to do some sort of exercise routine to offset desserts! I also visited the sauna which was very nice.

Disembarkation: This was probably the worst part. We got our tags on the final night. In hindsight, I should have requested a lower number to get off of the ship earlier, but I'll remember for next time. We went to our station (It was actually well organized to avoid large crowds) and then an hour after the estimated time of leaving the ship, we exited the ship on our own without being called because we hadn't heard any word of why there was a delay and when we might get off of the ship (and we did ask, again some eye rolls and rudeness. I understand that they were probably asked the same question about 500 times). We took a gamble because we didn't want to miss our flight. Our number ended up getting called about 20 minutes later, but SOME communication would have been nice.

Overall: A great ship for families for sure. We had a wonderful time in spite of some service mishaps. For the most part the staff do a wonderful job and everything is so well coordinated/run for a ship of this size, # of amenities.

Publication Date: 05/05/14