Oceana Cruise Review by SMOGGY555: Good but?

SMOGGY555
Member Since 2014

Good but?

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

The best points of my recent cruise on the Oceana were:

The staff, stewards and restaurant waiters were excellent, very professional and nothing was too much trouble, all a credit to P&O.

The cabins were very clean with fresh towels changed daily and quality toiletries provided.

The shuttle buses provided were another excellent feature of the cruise with very little waiting.

The spar and gym were also first class, great facilities.

There were plenty of well stocked books in the library.

The lectures and activities were particularly enjoyable.

The winners bar had numerous big wide screen TVs which enabled all to comfortably see the live premiership football matches.

The general appearance of this fourteen year old ship was on par with the relatively new Azura. Very modern, clean and a joy to walk around.

As I said the service in the Adriatic restaurant was excellent and the menus were varied with one More being spoilt for choice. The quality of the food was first class, really helped to make this a great holiday.

We also like being the idea to be able to take a drink on board, to drink in our cabins on the balcony.

There are a number of things, I was not happy about on my cruise with P&O but overall it is good value for money. One of the worst was the way we are spoken to by photographers, we are not all senile or the pool entertainers we are not aged 10 or under, awful, was like Butlins at Sea.

Nor did I like being pestered time and time by the waiters in the bars, that became a real pain.

I did not like the fact that there were no subtitles for the TV. The majority of the passengers on board were pensioners and it is obvious the many must be hard of hearing. The choice of TV channels were also limited some with outdated programs such as one with Dawn French staring. In my opinion the flat screen TVs in the cabins were too small.

I did not like queuing in the Plaza, this often became a bit of a scrum. The quality of the food itself was very poor in comparison with that of the main restaurants and at breakfast food was often lukewarm and not replenished quickly enough.The breakfast orange juice was poor and tasted like diluted orange cordial.

The theatre was a disappointment as there was never a seat left for those who dined at 8.30. Having to stand at the back of the theatre is not the answer.

The quality of the acts, I would give 7 out of ten only because the two musicians in the bars, Al and Chris were first class but the others?

One of the most disappointing aspects of the liner was the absence of toilets around the bars. Those that were there were totally inadequate for the 2000 passengers. With just one disabled cubical in each. If there were more I could not find them.

No duty free available as it was on the Azura and Ventura.

Despite the criticisms listed we would still book with P&O but would only eat in the main restaurants and avoid the Hi Di Hi sail aways. Less

Read more Oceana cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oceana Review >>

Cabin review: Oceana C345

See above. Very satusfactory.