Pride of America Cruise Review by SingleTraveler: Served Its Purpose

Served Its Purpose

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

Different members of our family had been to Hawaii before, namely Oahu, and we wanted to have something new for everyone in the family. Instead of staying in one spot, we liked the idea of being able to see all four of the major islands without having to fly between the different islands. I believe that NCL's Pride of America was the only cruise line that fit the bill.

While we have been on other cruises before where we felt that the food and the service was much higher end, after seven days aboard the Pride of America, I would still recommend this to my friends. We visited Maui, Hilo, Kona, Kauai, and Honolulu. We stayed overnight at Maui. We actually docked in a very industrial looking part of the town and there really was not all that much there for tourists. We rented a call in advance and I would highly recommend that. We were able to go over to the other side of Maui and visited Lahaina and checked out the luau there. The next day, we took the car out to Haleakale and More saw some dormant volcano craters. Dress warmly - it was really cold and windy! Despite the fact that we rented a car that was a mile or two away from the port, there was no problem in getting the car. There was a free shuttle, and I noticed other rental car companies sending their shuttles as well. One concern that we had was where to park the car overnight. The car rental spot did not have much to offer as far as advice. It turns out that there are a number of lots reserved for the cruise ship guests right at the port. This was a relief. At Hilo, we rented the car just for a day to drive out to the Volcanoes National Park. At Kona, we opted not to rent a car. There was plenty to do at the port and I would say that this was the most tourist friendly port of them all. At Kauai, we rented a car again but this time we had to pay for the parking overnight. About a 1/4 of a mile away from the port there is a strip mall named Anchor Cove Mall and you can pay $20 to park overnight. You will have to ask about this arrangement at the restaurant there (I think it was called JJ Bridges). It was pretty easy to do as well. Over all, we didn't feel too rushed with the timing.

As for the specifics of the ship, the food was decent. There was nothing too fancy about the menu but the chef did make it a point to change some items so that you wouldn't be eating the same thing every night. Despite the mediocre reviews I've read before going on board, our particular servers were very nice to us and we felt that we were treated very well. One night we did not show up, they ended up sending us a plate of cookies saying that they missed us. My 9 year old niece had nothing but good things to say about our server who would greet us each night with her drink in hand (apple juice). They also got her cheese-less pizza right. One complaint that my family had was that the rooms were just too small. I was one of the few who had a brand new studio designed for single travelers which was actually pretty nice for me. I thought the cost was a little high for what we got, but overall, would highly recommend this cruise if people were looking for a way to see the different islands.

The one other comment was that this boat at the best gym ever! Better than other NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Disney ships I've been on. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>