“Will reconsider NCL -Gateway again but not until I hear improvements !”
Cruise review of Norwegian Getaway

JoeMk Norwegian Getaway 3 Will reconsider NCL -Gateway again but not until I hear improvements !
JoeMk
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

Just back from a seven day cruise on the Norwegian Gateway- Eastern Caribbean-, First time on the new ship "Gateway", I usually do not write reviews but I feel motivated to share my experience on this one.

The ship is 3 stars , is pretty inside but not luxury. The cabins good , actually the studio cabins for a solo travelers are much nicer than the regular inside or ocean view cabins. Our balcony cabins was ok but very small , if you like to have breakfast in the balcony with company be ready for seating knee -knee.

This ship have more than "17 dinning options" but keep in mind ONLY 2-3 restaurants are included in your cruise price , the buffet ( terrible food) the Flamingo restaurant not good either and the main restaurant "Tropicana" It was really nothing special to remember regarding the dinning experience . The other "specialty restaurants" , Le Bistro , was good but remember you have to pay $30 + if you want to experience a different entrees you have to pay a supplemental charge of $10 each. My friends experienced the Brazilian restaurant $$$ and the said was ok . If you want to dinning better ignore the buffet and get ready to pay extra $$ each night. The customer service on board is excellent ! rooms are clean and the staff very friendly. I hear the NCL-Epic is much better I will try at the end of this year. Oh! almost forget to mention , "the pool" :( this ship have only one pool and is almost impossible to be there with out many people and children's running around and "The Spa" was a big surprise you want to use the sauna or the steam room , are you ready to pay $200 supplemental charge??? yes ! on this ship you have to pay $200 in order to used it. I understand the ship spa is a separate business from the cruise line but every cruise I have experience they don't charge a fee to use the Sauna or the steam room. My last disappointing was the Eastern Caribbean itinerary from Miami 3 days in the ocean to get to Pittsburgh St.Maarten 8 hours in land , second stop in St.Thomas USVI only from 8:00am-3:30pm and after another 36 hours in the ocean enjoy Nassau , Bahamas before return to Miami . I rather visit different places and less time in the ocean . If you like to stay on board the ship eating and sleeping this maybe the ship for you if you like to experience nice dinning options , stop a different places and not pay to much for dinning this is not the sip . The shows during night only one was good " Burn the floor" Amazing show!!! . I really was missing MSC and Celebrity when I was on board the Gateway . I strongly believe if the improve the itinerary , the dinning , the spa options at not cost ( I mean the sauna and steam room ) and the entertainment during night , this really can be a good choose of cruising . Sincerely, JRC.

Norwegian Getaway Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Rates
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

No much to do. Only Maho beach and Orient beach was good, Orient beach the best in my opinion , the center of the island is only for shopping . Taxi drivers very friendly in this island. :)

Read 3,325 St. Maarten Reviews
Port

Unfriendly taxi drivers , Megan bay beach top 10 in the wold ....really ???? next time they need to reconsider other beautiful caribbean beaches like Bavaro beach , Cayo Saetia beach, Varadero beach, Cayo Coco beach, Ipanema beach , Siesta Key, South Beach ect.. Megan Bay beach was nothing like a regular small beach and you have to pay to enter to the beach.

Read 3,413 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 04/30/14
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Getaway Review
Norwegian Getaway Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?