Crown Princess Cruise Review by gr82sum

Member Name: gr82sum
Cruise Date: February 2014
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Number: R738
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

A South American Adventure

I have been on the Crown previously about 6 years ago and it was wonderful so I was looking forward to being on the ship again. I flew in to Ft. Lauderdale the morning that we were leaving and so went to the ship directly from the airport. The lines to check in were very long, even the priority lines, which I was on. It took about 2-1/2 hours to finally get on board. It seems that everyone had to be checked for the visa for Brazil and the reciprocity fee receipt for Argentina.

When my husband and I boarded, we were shocked to see the wear and tear of the ship. The carpet was very shabby and the ship seemed to have lost its sparkle. I was told that it was scheduled to go to dry dock soon to be overhauled. It sure does need it.

I finally got to our stateroom and was very pleased with the location. It was at the rear of the ship with easy access to the Horizon Buffet and would require a lot of walking to most parts of the ship giving me great exercise. The room itself was roomy and the balcony was the usual size.

I had anytime dining and usually went to the Da Vinci restaurant and had no trouble being seated. My husband and I enjoy sharing and so we met many nice people. The staff in that dining room was excellent. The food was a little too continental for our taste and so we did go to the buffet many times. We found that we enjoyed the cooking at the Horizon. We had our breakfast and most often our lunch there. We also

enjoyed the International Cafe and the coffee bar tremendously. It was great for snacks in the afternoon and some good coffee.

There was activities planned in the piazza and on some of the higher decks for those who wanted to participate. I did not.

The staff and the service was excellent in all areas of the ship. We had an exceptional cabin steward who really catered to us named Alfred, which was wonderful. We did not think that the entertainment was anything special. There were a lot of shows with a main person for about 40 minutes. We had enjoyed the big production shows that they used to have with the singers and dancers. On this cruise, the singers and dancers performed in the piazza, in Explorers Lounge and sometimes in the Princess Theater. I am not sure if they did anything elsewhere. Most of the time my husband didn't want to bother going to the shows. They did have a very good pianist/singer/comedian in Crooners by the name of Tom Franek. He didn't start his show until between 9:00 and 10:00 pm.

We didn't go on any Princess excursions. When we disembarked, that went fairly well until we went to get our luggage and it wasn't with all of the other luggage with our tags. It took almost an hour for one of the Princess employees to finally find it stuck in a corner of the cavernous room which held all of the luggage coming off the ship.

Publication Date: 04/30/14