Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ejincali: Great vacation

Great vacation

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

For me, the key reason to cruise as opposed to staying at a beachfront resort is the entertainment. The Star definitely delivered in this regard. The theatre shows: Second City; acrobats; magic; Star singers/dancers were all excellent. I also really enjoyed Second City's improv shows in the lounge. They also have great musicians on board who perform by the pool and in the lounges in the evening. I just wish they had live lounge music during happy hour time.

Dining: Versailles (included)- Good, but not great food served at a leisurely pace. I liked the decor, sort of a spoof of the actual Versailles. I like the idea of having breakfast served to me in courses, so this was our usual choice for breakfast.

Market Cafe(included)- Only did this once for dinner. The food was good, but this reminds me of the cafeteria at work. I'm on vacation so would prefer to be served.

Moderno (extra cost)- Two of the meats, filet mignon and lamb chop were really good--the others More so-so. Salad bar was very good. Liked the space, we had a table over-looking the atrium and the live music in progress.

La Cucina (extra cost)- Unfortunately, the two entrees we chose, pork scallopini and Osso Buco were too salty--its a shame because the meat itself was very good. Deserts, Pana Cotta and Tiramisu were both very good.

Le Bistro (extra cost) - Our favorite on the ship! Rack of Lamb, Duck (particularly the confit), Bouillabaisse were all excellent--prepared as you would get them in France. Escargot and scallop appetizers were also great. Bistro also has the best desert on the ship, Chocolate Napoleon.

Ports: all three ports are great and quite safe. Two excursions I would highly recommend: Mazatlan Huana Coa Canopy--zipline followed by Tequila tasting. Very safe, staff is very professional and entertaining. PV La Castelleta--great day at the beach with lots of activities, open bar and very nice lunch buffet.

Our balcony room was very comfortable and our room steward took excellent care of us. We were lucky enough to see both dolphins and whales!

Was disappointed at the small size of the pool, but otherwise the ship is quite nice and in very good condition. They seem to maintain it constantly.

Couple things that need improvement:

LA embarkation/disembarkation: long lines, slow service at the counter

Announcements: Too many! Bingo and art auctions schedule are very clear in the daily newsletter--no reason to bug everyone with this.

Restaurant reservations: always seemed to have a long line and they wouldn't answer the phone. Its all on the computer, so no reason for this.

Overall, we were happy and will plan on NCL for our next cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 9228

This is a very nice quiet room located towards the rear of the ship. I like the aft area as there is less foot traffic by the room. Bathroom is divided into three sections, very convenient, clean and functional. Liked having the small sofa in addition to the bed.

Cabo is a nice place. Good bars/restaurants near the port. Nice beaches, you can get to Lovers Beach by water taxi or Medano Beach by bicitaxi.

Fantastic! Ziplining, very safe and professional followed by Tequila Tasting and tour. One of the best one day outings I've ever done.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

Las Caletas Beach Hideaway

(4)

Very nice day at the beach. Snorkeling, Kayaking, are included as is open bar and very nice buffet Mexican lunch. Nice catamaran over as well.