Ventura Cruise Review by Maxikenn

Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Genoa
Destination: Italy
Cabin Number: B606
See More About: Ventura Cruise Reviews | Italy Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ventura Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ventura Deck Plans
I love P&O

I've been a fan of P&O all my life, much of it is nostalgia, my first P&O ship was either the Canton or Carthage when I was a baby en route to Singapore. Many many ships later we went off on the latest trip on board Ventura. Very similar to Azura which we did last year and equally as nice. I did feel there have been a few cut-backs and some corner cutting but as prices are now so low I can understand that. Something has to give....

Embarkation via Gatwick and Genoa was easy though I do prefer Southampton. Disembarkation was equally trouble free.

Cabin was adequate with a small balcony, our steward was brilliant but not intrusive.

We weren't too keen to be allocated Freedom dining but it worked really well and we were always allocated tables with cruisers who 'matched' us. A special mention here to Head Waiter in Saffron, Colin, who went out of his way to make sure our vegetarianism was catered for. We had a hic-cup on the first night and from then on he was there all the time to make sure all was well! Food was good.... no complaints on menu either in the dining room or in the buffet upstairs.

We didn't go to much entertainment, I'm always happy to take to my balcony with a good book and maybe a glass of wine. I love being on a ship and just enjoying the feeling of being at sea. Personal choice but the feedback on the entertainment from dinner companions was usually good.

I often read reviews on here and wonder at the expectations of passengers..... so many seem to expect the facilities of a 6* cruise for a 3* price. and complaints about selling? Don't buy! Easy..... I never found them a problem. I did succumb to a cut-price massage in the spa and it was good value for money IMO.

Very interesting was the morning in the Atrium when crew from every department were there to demonstrate and explain. very educational....

My biggest complaint would be reserved for the staff on the reception desk who seemed to work on the lines of 'the answer is no, now what's the question....' One particular young lady who shall remain nameless although I did make a note for a formal complaint, was downright rude and patronising. Twice.

Oh and it also bugs me that all my previous years of P&O plus multi thousands of miles don't count towards points so we don't get blue slippers! :(

But apart from that.... it was a good cruise to fab destinations for a very reasonable cost.

Go P&O.