Ruby Princess Cruise Review by dipseydo: Ruby Relaxation

Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Ruby Relaxation

Sail Date: April 2014

Please note this is my first cruise and thanks to all of the previous ruby princess reviews which lead me to select this ship. My fiancé and I traveled on the April 17 Western Caribbean cruise from the frozen tundra of Washington DC. Took the princess bus from Miami (cheaper than supershuttle/taxi from Miami). Embarkation was a breeze and we were in the room in no time at all. I was worried from reading the review about the rooms/bathrooms since I am a big guy (6'6 270+). The shower was tight but I was able to maneuver just fine and thought the bathrooms are designed well for such a small space. I also was concerned about the bed size but it is bigger than a Queen and smaller than a king...similar width to a California king bed but not as long (good sized). The room was nice and the balcony was plenty of space for two people.

We are in our late 30's and I thought there was a good mix of people from 20-70. Most people looked in there 40-60 range. We hung out at the main More pools for fun and swam at the adults only terrace pool at the back. We didn't see the need to hang out at the sanctuary as I never felt it was that crowded. The Casino was fun and we ended up getting the drink package ($49 each per day) which was reasonable and also included unlimited bottle water.

We were situated on deck 12 which made it easy to go two flights to the lido deck/pool and easy to walk down to the piazza. The reviews are correct on the Princess Pizza which is thin and similar to NYC style pizza; Delicious. We tried the Crab Shack pop up on the day it was offered and loved the king crab and popcorn shrimp. Crown grill was really nice and we enjoyed the MDR as well. All the meals I had were great. The design is really nice and made for a very relaxing time. My fiance enjoyed her spa day but it is pricey (even by downtown DC standards). I enjoyed the in room tv movie options which ran very recent movies (Saving Mr. Banks, The Hobbit 2, Man of Steel, etc). It was relaxing to chill in the room and stare out the balcony door to the ocean. Movies under the stars were fun and we did that two evenings. The dance parties were also fun at night time.

My knock: I could only work out on the bike's in the fitness center since I would hit my head on the treadmill or elliptical machine (if your under 6'3 your probably fine). However I am a runner so I noticed many runners using deck 7/8 (front of the ship you go upstairs to 8 then back down to 7) to run around the ship during off hours (5 laps to a mile). I was able to run for 30 mins when the ship was docked in Cozumel. They probably discourage you from running on deck 7 during sea days and prime hours.

Ports: Grand Cayman; We skipped the excursions and took an 8 buck cab to the Royal Palm beach club and had a wonderful time chilling out on the beach. Cozumel; we checked out the port but stayed on the ship and relaxed.

All in all a wonderful time and I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise on Princess again. Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>