Ruby Princess Cruise Review by sockster

Cabin Number: c751
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
It was OK

First time on Princess. Been on Silver Sea, Royal, Celebrity, etc.

Booked a Vista Suite. Great room with wonderful aft view. Upon entering the room, there was a basket of fruit that had to be left over from the cruise before- the bananas were absolutely black. When I called, room service did send another basket. The cabin steward said that our first day was his first day- but that was wrong- he came from another part of the ship. He had no idea of suite benefits such as a pillow menu, or that the room needed shampoo. Needless to say, our first couple of hours were a little chaotic.

Overall we had a good time. BUT, on at sea days, I was on deck to get a chair by 7AM, and often got the last chairs! This is not to say, if you didn't want to sit near a pool there weren't chairs, but the chairs by the pool were packed- and packed early. I know that Princess doesn't use the "no saving chairs rule".

The food on the ship was above average. The buffets had great assortments (and varied assortments), of food each day. The regular dining rooms were beautiful, and if you can, request table 230 in the Michelangelo dining room- Best waiter ever!!!

We loved Sabatini's. Food was good and innovative. Worth the $25pp cover. However we had a horrible waiter at Crown Grill- who only had one other table, and seemed way to busy to care of his only other table, us at our two top. When he served us, almost all three courses came out on top of each other, and the table wasn't even cleared yet when the steaks came out- all within 30 minutes of our sitting down!!!

Pedro was a nice guy, but a horrible waiter, who obviously didn't want to be there. The steaks were fine, but just not great at all. To us, this was a rip off of $50, and we cancelled our reservation for the following night there and went back to Sabatini.

As written elsewhere, the pizza was great!!

In a full suite, they give you an incredible mattress and the aforementioned pillow menu. The mattress was excellent, and we chose super soft pillows. It was a great night's sleep.

The best tip I can give you is this. If you love wine, BRING ON YOUR OWN. There is no corkage for the first two bottles, and then if you bring to a restaurant, they charge you a corkage of $15. Instead of paying their inflated wine markup, you can bring a great wine and drink it for $15!! We did this every night.

Overall we had a nice time, although I was pickpocketed on the second to last night- losing cash, credit cards and drivers license. I have reason to believe it was a certain crew member, but since I can't prove anything, let's leave it at that.

Would I go back on Princess again? I just don't know. Due to the very incredibly low prices, there were people from every walk of life there, and I think, personally, I like a smaller ship, with less craziness all over the boat at all times. But, that's just me.

Publication Date: 04/28/14