Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by RobinKY: Overall - Decent

RobinKY
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Overall - Decent

Sail Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my second cruise and my first cruise was 14 years ago. We traveled with two young kids and my in laws in their 70s. Overall I would give it a 7.5 out of 10. The plusses are the ship itself, food, the views from our balcony room and the service was very good. Dinners were exceptional and very enjoyable except our last dinner as explained below.

It lost some point on the following.

1. We bought the two bar packages - me just beer and wine and my wife got the next step up which included most mix drinks (if under $10/drink). My inlaws got a basic beverage package - soft drinks, premium coffee. bottled water. There was a lot of confusion. For example, at dinner my mother in law was told ice tea was not included with her package. My wife would order a margarita with Patron but the pool bartenders told her Patron was not included. She got Grey Goose in her bloody mary no problem. Overall I would say the drink packages were worth it for us as we usually had 7-10 More drinks a day, except for the excursion day where we were off the ship most of the day so keep that in mind. Also at dinner our waiter had to get a different waiter to take our alcoholic drink order. This took extra time and they never stopped back to see we wanted another drink. Seems like they play this game to limit your drinks or have you order a more expensive bottle of wine for the table.

2. Pool area was very crowded and the last day we could not find pool chairs. It was a pain to get drinks at the pool bar. I guess I am not pushy like the group of NY-NJ goombas that hung out by the bar all day. The poolside service was very good though and it was better to just order drinks thru them.

3. Our dinner on the last night was a bust. We ordered a steak, fillet mignon. It came out cold. Our waiter who spoke very broken English tried to rectify it. We just wanted it warmed up a bit and it came out overcooked and very tough. The waiter let it slip that they microwaved it. We sent it back again and it came back a little tough again but we made do.

Overall the service staff works extremely hard and does a great job. Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Brilliance of the Seas 7644

Glad we paid the extra money for the balcony - well worth it. The rooms are small for a family of 4 but that is expected. We had one kid sleep on the pull out couch and the other kid on the drop down bed which was a couple feet above our bed.

Beach Break

(3)

Took a cab ($32 each way for 6 people) to Playa Mia. $60/person for 2 beach passes, buffet and open bar and $35 each for our 2 kids. They have a nice inflatable jungle jim about 100+ yards out in the ocean which our kids loved. Kids spent very little time at the pool and water slide. We took a quick kayak trip with them which was nice. I would say the beach was average - not much room between the water and rows of beach chairs/lounges and a lot of plant life (?) around which made the water seem darker. The buffet was garbage - with a lot of "kiddie" type food such as hot dogs, mac n cheese, etc. A couple low grade Mexican items. The open bar was decent but was really just draft beer and mixed drinks with low grade booze. We talked with a waiter and he brought us a free shot of tequila which looked like gasoline, we just poured it out. Overall, it is a decent place to spend the afternoon but is just a little over priced for the quality.