Voyager Cruise Review by barrycooper: Grand Voyage Mumbai to Rome

Grand Voyage Mumbai to Rome

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Mumbai (Bombay)

The Voyager is a well appointed ship and well maintained by an excellent mostly Filipino Crew who are always friendly and helpful.

The restauants serve excellent food although dinner in the Discovery Restauant can take a very long time. The Veranda Restaurant is a buffet and the same choice of food is available and again the staff are helpful but there are problems with the layout. At breakfast, the cereals are in one section and the cooked food etc are in another section but with the layout of the ship it would be impossible to change any arrangements.

The entertainment consisted of an excellent programme of lectures given by a high calibre group of lecturers and the Darwin Lounge was usually full for these events and the use of three screens helped to overcome the problem of poor sightlines. The sightline problem was most noticeable in the production shows where the complicated footwork could only be seen by those in the front row. The production shows were of a More high quality and performed in a limited area.

Shore excurions were all to a high standard and some local guides were excellent. The visits to Egypt were well received by the local populations who had not seen a cruise ship for a year.

The cabin was well appointed but I had a major problem with the noise from the propellors and engine. I was allocated a cabin in the stern of the ship on deck 3 and at 0330 one morning I was at reception asking someone to come down and listen to the noise. Sleep was impossible and I feared thirty-one nights of disturbed sleep. I was moved the following day to another cabin but for that sector only and I had to return to my old cabin for the second sector as new passengers had boarded. I kept up my complaints and moved to a cabin on deck 4 which again was fine. I was not seeking an upgrade and would have happily accepted a downgrade just to have a quieter cabin.

I would recommend any intending passenger not to book cabins at the stern of the ship because the noise is unbearable and one passenger had the crew checking the noise with a noise monitor. The Reception Staff were always helpful and sympathetic.

My reaction is that if the Company choose to sell cabins which are liable to excessive noise and vibration then the intending passenger should be warned of the problem and the cabins offered at a much reduced cost. Less

Read more Voyager cruise reviews >>