Riviera Cruise Review by sailorgirl

Member Name: sailorgirl
Cruise Date: April 2014
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: Penthouse category 2
See More About: Riviera Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Riviera Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Riviera Deck Plans
Glorious Transatlantic

Just returned from Miami to Barcelona transatlantic. Always happy to be back home but still glowing from an absolutely wonderful cruise. Check-in was smooth and quick. We were in our 11th deck forward penthouse by 1:30, after lunch. Luggage came well before sailing. Many days were windy and choppy but it was never a problem. I did hope to swim my way across the ocean as I had on an earlier crossing but our pool water was choppy and chilly most of the way and I only swam when we were sailing the Med. The onboard activities during the crossing were adequate, not exceptional, but we personally like to read and relax on our balcony. Have to say here that almost every day I was wrapped in our robe and blanket on the balcony because, as I said, it was windy and chilly. There was enough sun that everyone, who wanted to, got plenty of sun tan. Or wind burn!

We spent two days in delightful Bermuda. One lovely day in Madeira. And an excursion in Tangier, Morocco that was over-priced and poorly managed. I won't be looking for that port on any itinerary in the future.

Onboard, the food and service were exceptional. We enjoyed all three specialty restaurants as well as dividing our time between the main dining room and the terrace cafe. Never disappointed. Our suite was spacious and well serviced by a wonderful butler and room attendants. Our bedding was extremely comfortable. All crew members we came in contact with had friendly positive attitudes. And the other passengers were very happy and gracious people.

I had one problem with the shower water not draining properly and the plumber came immediately and fixed the issue. Mid cruise we were asked for comments and I said we wished we had a second table on our verandah and, before the day was over, one appeared.

The entertainment was very good and received a few standing ovations along the way. We never had lines or waits or crowds. There were always enough lounge chairs and theatre seats.

There were two Cruise Critic events but for one reason or another we never made it to either.

We love days at sea and a transatlantic is the perfect prescription for that!

That said,leaving Barcelona was a hassle because we had to stand in line over an hour to check our bags to Miami. And then luggage delivery in Miami took an hour. Let's just say that the fun part is cruising and the not so fun part is flying.

Publication Date: 04/28/14