Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by cabelltini: PERFECT family vacation

Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

PERFECT family vacation

Sail Date: April 2014

We just returned from our first family vacation on Norwegian Getaway - it was nothing short of AMAZING! I have cruised with norwegian before but it was boyfriend's and his children's first cruise ever so I was a little nervous about how it would work….in short, the kids (age 14 and 10) were both crying on the last day because they didn't want to leave and wanted to book another cruise ASAP!!

Accommodations

We had a family balcony room. I was worried about it being large enough but it was perfect!! Even when all four of us were in the room getting ready, it was fine. What I thought was really cool is that the couch converted into one bed and another bunk was lowered from the ceiling at turn down service so the the kids had bunk beds! they loved it!!! The balcony also gave us a little more space to spread out…which helped.

I have always thought that the food on Norwegian was great so it was nice to hear that the kids liked it too. More Without prompting the kids mentioned how good the food was several times. My boyfriend (42) who can often be a bit snobby was also really impressed commenting on the decor, the service and freshness of the food.

Activities

This was probably my biggest compliment to Norwegian. We had the PERFECT vacation due to Norwegian's commitment to freestyle cruising. We were able to enjoy time as a family. The kids enjoyed time on their own. And my boyfriend and I were able to spend quality time together as a couple. It was just perfect. Everyone got to do what they wanted. Our 14 year old LOVED LOVED LOVED entourage and made a ton of friends on the cruise. Our 10 year old would disappear to the watersides for hours, running back and forth to give us updates on his speed and splash stats! My boyfriend and I would lay out on deck 16 and 17 and in the Vibe Beach club and just relax, not worrying about the kids because we knew they were happy and having a great time. We also made a little tradition that each person was assigned a "night" to do whatever they wanted. They got to plan when and where we would meet for dinner and what entertainment we would go see. Speaking of entertainment, The Illusionarium was amazing. The kids were literally giddy with excitement and didn't stop talking about the show for days!

Crew

Finally, the crew were great. I have never met or sailed with better people. Everyone was so kind, friendly and accommodating….and let's not forget this was spring break week so the ship was PACKED with kids. I cannot say enough about the waiters, barterers and our room attendant. Just awesome.

I really can't say enough positive things about this cruise - especially if you are thinking about cruising as a family! Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 12238

This room was awesome - it was just enough room for us. Norwegian was great helping me select the room too - they advised me to save the $800 between this room and the family balcony suite which was a great call. there was also TONS of storage for all of our stuff!

We went on the Golden Eagle sail and snorkel. It was awesome.
The kids loved it and i was even impressed with the snorkeling!
Again, the crew was great and the kids won't stop talking about how much fun they had

Ziplining

I actually didn't go because i am scared of heights but my family went. They LOVED It. They said it was so fun and the views of the island were breathtaking. The one thing they said made it really special was how funny and nice the crew was on the trip. They played with the kids and made it really fun for the whole group.