Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by SHIANNE

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by SHIANNE
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: SHIANNE
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Galveston
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great Cruise With a Few Bumps

Instead of harping on the negative aspects of our cruise (which I will get to later), I wanted to highlight all the positive things that we will always cherish.

Getting on the ship was a breeze. My youngest cannot stand in long lines, so we are able to use the wheelchair line that breezes you in the ship. They allow the entire family (of four) to go with her. We heard there was a power outage after we were boarded that led to a delay of many passengers getting onboard. But that did not effect us.

Stateroom attendant was not the over friendly personality as we expected, but she got the job done was courteous and got everything we asked for very quickly. We had a sofabed for the kids to sleep on, but we requested a cot and got it the very first night. Our attendant thought we were crazy, but one kid slept on the sofa and the other on the cot and that solved a lot of fighting issues between them! Our room was cleaned every morning while we were at breakfast and every evening during dinner.

Ports of call: My husband and I had taken this same itinary last year without the kids, so we knew what to expect. In Jamaica, we went to the Dunn River Falls express. My youngest could not climb the falls so my oldest and I climbed while my husband and youngest played in the lower part of the river and had a blast. I would highly recommend this excursion to anyone. However, the locals are VERY aggressive in their selling and even cornered my oldest at one point and scared her by asking her name and where she lived...Do not leave your children unattended there.

We went to the turtle farm in the Grand Caymans. The kids loved being able to hold the turtles and learn how to calm them down. We waded in the lagoon, as I am the only family member who can swim, but it was nice and quiet and enjoyable. When you go to Hell, look for the iguanas in the trees and the chickens in the brush. We saw a mother hen and two chicks, and the kids were more amazed by that then anything else at Hell!

Cozumel we went to Playa MIa. This was our third time there and we bought our passes online instead of through the cruise ship. You can take a taxi there for $16 per day and overall it's about $100 cheaper to book on your own. All rental equipment is included in the price except for waverunners. They have added a waterslide and we all had a great time as always!

Windjammer was OK. We are a picky family and ate mostly burgers and fries for lunch all week. It would've been nicer to have some more plain options for picky eaters. Breakfast was amazing in the Windjammer, except for the rude attendant at the omelet staion. We only had omelets once...

Dinner in the main dining room was great! We requested a big table and made some great new friends! Our headwaiter, Jose, even got the chef to make Indian food one night for those at the table who like it! And he went out of his way to order to go food for my oldest the first few nights when she was too sich to make it to dinner.

One more last positive: Go to the spa- the massage side and get pampered! I had a hot stone massage and a deep tissue/ scalp massage and both were fabulous.! I highly recommend Ria!

OK negatives: I had a nail appt online and when I got to the salon, they informed me they did not have time to do both acrylic and shellac, which is what I had made the appt for. I was disappointed, but made an appt for the next day. But the nail job I got was horrible. My nails chipped, fell off and were not even filed evenly. The girl who did my nails was more concerned with how she would be paid and caused a scene with her supervisor right in front of me. Needless to say, I did complain and ended up getting my nails redone by Peta, who did the fabulous job I expected, but I would not get my nails done on the ship again.

My oldest got a sinus infection on day 2 of the cruise, so she was confined to the room (by our choice) and did not get to explore or hang out with the teens as she normally would. Luckily I always carry extra antibiotic for cases like this and she was better by the end of the week, but she never did get out on her own.

This particular cruise was spring break for Mexico, which was not much of a problem for us, but our dinnermates had partiers next door to them who kept them up all night. after complaining, the situation was resolved, but they said they would not cruise during this time again. Also there were a lot of non supervision of kids around the pool areas and we were only able to go to the pool once because of the rudeness and crowdedness of the kids at the pool.

My youngest did not enjoy the kids club and said the staff were not kid friendly or kind to her. She went three times all week long and did make a friend, but asked not to go back to RC (as she has traveled on other lines) unless they get friendlier staff.

Last complaint: DO NOT GET YOUR THUMB STUCK IN THE CABIN DOOR! When we were bringin in the luggage, my husband closed the door (hinge side) on my thumb and I had to go to medic and get it x-rayed. Luckily it was not broken, but it hurt like the dickens for the first few days!

All in all I would go on RC again. It would be nice to see better enforcement of pool rules (especially for kids) and friendlier kid staff and maybe more picky eater options in the Windjammer.

Publication Date: 04/27/14