Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by PTBLV2Cruise: Not so happy.

PTBLV2Cruise
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Not so happy.

Sail Date: April 2014

First let me start out with the fact that we have completed 18 cruises on four different cruise lines, Holland America (1) , Disney (8), Royal Caribbean (7) and Norwegian (2). Out of these 18 cruises I have only twice gone to Customer Service and registered a complaint, both on Norwegian. The first being on Pride of America around Hawaii and now on the Getaway.

The food wasn't terrible, but wasn't anything to write home about either. The menu in the three main dining rooms was the same every night with only one or two differences. No variances there! If you wanted to pay $119 per person you can go to the specialty restaurant's (except Ocean Blue which has a $49 per person cover charge), which my family chose not to do. I heard from other cruisers that it was not worth the money, but I cannot talk to this.....

I agree with another reviewer that what you had to pay for and what you did not (which was very little) was not well marked. We went into the Ice Bar, (my More husband, myself and 16 yr old son) for all of seven minutes had a total of two drinks and were charged $60. Yup, $20 per person, even for my son who is not old enough to drink alcohol. We were not told in advance of the fee and were not at all happy when we came out to get hit with the fee!!!

Another complaint is the noise! I could hear my neighbors as if they were in my room with us. It wasn't bad enough that I had to listen to my husband snore all night, but I also had to listen to my neighbor as well! The sound proofing was horrible. Also, I have never stayed in a cabin the creaked and groaned as much as this one and to be honest, the sea motion was not all that much that we should have been hearing so much groaning from the room......

We book a Mini Suite with Balcony. For the money we paid, the room was very small and there was not a drawer to be had (except in the bathroom which held very little). The storage was the worst of any room that we have ever stayed in. The balcony was so small, the three of us barely fit on it!

The shows were great (especially Burn the Floor, I highly suggest this one (and its free)), but again there were some that you had to pay for and others you did not! We did go to Illusionarium, and I agree with another reviewer, pay for the premium seating and get there really (at least 30 to 45 minutes before) to get the best seating. My husband and I also paid to see "Wine Lovers the Musical", this was really cute and well worth the money. We did not see Legally Blond, so I cannot talk to this one.

On the plus side, my son did enjoy the high rope course and the slide's. There is a lot for kids to do. We did the Zip Line shore excursion in St. Thomas and had a great time. Well worth the $119 per person that we paid. We also purchased the Atlantis Acquadventure. Again we feel this is well worth the money we paid (fifth trip to Atlantis, love it!!!!).

If you are looking for a "Free Style" cruise with a lot for the kids to do, and not so great service or food, this is the cruise for you. If you are looking for good food and service this is NOT the cruise for you.

Unfortunately this will be the last Norwegian cruise for us. We prefer to get to know our Wait staff and have lots of fun. It is true when you pay $12 per person per day, they have no incentive to give great service, which is what we have found on both Norwegian cruises that we have taken. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 11800

Very Noisy. Could hear people next door like they were in our room! The creaks and groans during the night were way out of portion to the motion of the sea. One of the noisiest rooms that I have stayed in. Very small and NO drawers!!!!!! The storage was horrible. For the price we paid, the room should have been a lot bigger!