Celebrity Century Cruise Review by waarce: Pacific Coastal Cruise April 12-18

Pacific Coastal Cruise April 12-18

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I just go off the Celebrity Century and my experience on the ship was average. Our cabin 1207 was just OK, for the price, I was expecting something a bit more luxurious. The room had the feel of a Motel 6 budget room. The furniture was tired, stained and the marble on the desk was discolored. Definitely not worth the premium price paid for the room. The plus about the room was that this room was not in the bowels of the ship but up at the top. On this particular floor there was a lot pin pong games being played and the kids were shredding the pads on the paddles to pieces.

The food was not good, specially at the Islands Cafe. The burgers were good and the sandwiches on the other side were good too. The food at the MDR were hit and miss. The best two nights were the ones with the rib eye steak and the filet mignon. The New York steak was tough or any other meat anywhere on the ship was just difficult to cut and chew. Minute steak at Islands was like a shoe sole. The pasta More sauces were bland, tasteless and watered down. The beef Wellington on the second formal was overcooked and the pastry was doughy, not flaky at all. The lobster looked good but it was way overdone. The Asian Delights was everything else but Asian. The sushi was a joke to say the least with a lot of fake crab being with a couple of exceptions. There were no California rolls, the pizzas were meh, the pasta was bland and tasteless. The food was not good I am afraid to say.

I found that the beverage package was not worth it for us. After counting the amount of drinks that we ordered we didn't spend more than $150.00 vis-a-vis $400.00 paid for the premium beverage package. I did have a chance to have a couple of Margaritas and these were good my wife liked her pina colada. The other premium non-alcoholic drinks were too sweet and not to my liking. Next time no beverage package for us specially if there is water, iced tea and juices for free.

The ship is old and showing her age. The ship looked like a disco from the 90s. The ship was impeccably clean and you could see people working keeping the ship clean but, there were a couple of nights that the lobby in front of the elevators on Deck 12 was littered with empty cups, cans, trash and other debris from those playing pin pong. The ship removed the pin pong table on the last night on the ship. However, the following day, it was all littered with trash all over. That was a huge miss that it was kept like that for guess to see it and for the ship's management to allow the kids to trash this area. There was plenty of visible rust on the vessel but, the same could be said about the other cruise ship the Star Princess that parked next to us.

Of course what's a cruise without the cheesy pictures. We liked and bough the pictures from the first formal without any kind cheesy background. The others with the ship, or the lifesaver on front and all other kind of backgrounds was not my style and opted not to pose for any.

We did our own thing at the different ports except Ensenada. We took the ship's Bufadora Tour and it was a huge disappointment. The bus broke leaving us stranded in the middle of the road. The worst part is that the driver knew the bus was having mechanical problems but sent the bus to do the tour anyway. I heard the whole conversation that the driver was having with his bosses. The Mexican Federal police cited the driver for driving a mechanically unsafe bus. I do speak Spanish. Another bus came in about 1/2 hour later but, it cut into our tour of La Bufadora.

The service at the ship in most venues was excellent. Our Butler and attendant were superb and we gave them an additional tip. The staff at the MDR was excellent and treated my child who has special needs with kindness and pretty much catered to his every whim. We were afforded a private tour of the bridge but no pictures were allowed of the equipment due to security reason. I was also offered a back stage tour of the shows at the Century but did not go. I had an issue with Guest Service and had to ask for a manager. The issue was resolved and a $50.00 OBC was given for the trouble. That was a nice touch and, I didn't even had to ask for it, it was just given to me.

The shows, we only did one and it was not that good. The show "A Touch of Broadway" was boring and many people left before the end of the show specially after this lady singer started murdering an ABBA song. Her vocals were not up to the "Dancing Queen" and other ABBA hits. Then, another singer came in and she was bad too. It was then that we decided that we had enough and left. Most of the entertainment was geared towards the older crowd.

Did not see any movies on the ship, did not play the casinos but did tour the areas where gambling occurred. There some little stores on the ship with the usual Celebrity Century memorabilia. I did buy a sweater at 1/2 price because I forgot mine and it was bone chilling cold on our way to San Francisco. I also bought a watch for my daughter which was "allegedly" 50% to 70% off but, who knows. I am not big on souvenirs.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze but tendering for some was a struggle. We avoided delays by getting off the ship early. Never had a problem in getting in or out of the ship.

The bottom line is that the ship and the room was not worth the premium price paid. The service was excellent but the food was mediocre with a couple of exceptions. Will I travel on Celebrity again? Sure why not. I believe that most cruise ships provide a similar kind of experience based on the many reviews that I read from other cruise ships. I think that all have their ups and downs. If you book, go for breakfast at the MDR. Breakfast on the buffet the best was the omelettes, the scrambled eggs were actually cold. Eat at the MDR all of your meals or order room service from the MDR. Lunch the venues outside the Islands cafe were the best (sandwich/wraps/burgers). Stay away from the pizzas and most of the buffet. The Ice Cream was good too. Premium non-alcoholic beverages I didn't see that many people with drinks of that kind on their hands and rightly so because it was not worth it and the drinks way too if . Cabins, well that's your choice since our cabin (a suite) felt like a budge motel, the likely hood is that all cabins resemble each other.

The ship was sold and the company is not likely to invest any money in fixing the ship as long as they can keep it clean long enough before the new owners take over. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 1207

Our cabin 1207 was just OK, for the price, I was expecting something a bit more luxurious. The room had the feel of a Motel 6 budget room. The furniture was tired, stained and the marble on the desk was discolored. Definitely not worth the premium price paid for the room. The bathroom door placement was awkward and hit the toilet. However, on the plus side, the location was a plus near the elevators with easy access to the ship's public areas.