Disney Magic Cruise Review by rojorond

Member Name: rojorond
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Very disappointed and not worth the money!

We've been on more than 35 cruises. We've been on one other Disney cruise and loved it. This time we took my stepdaughters, their spouses and 3 grandchildren. We had 3 staterooms. First, because it was spring break, the prices were even more than usual but we expected that and booked early. Had we waited, it would have been $5,000 more! When we were on our way to the room, we smelled the all familiar sewage smell and hoped it was not going to be one of 'those' cruises. Thank goodness we never smelled it again but I did hear a passenger at the front desk that was assigned to that room and was moved. We were assigned station T for the lifeboat drill. It was the most poorly marked station and there weren't any crew members helping passengers find it. People were wandering around looking for it. Even when we finally found out where to go, it took me several minutes to find the T hiding behind a wall. The ship was full which made the tiny elevators seem even smaller. And the staircases were narrow as well. Kind of strange since many of the adults had to hold their children's hands walking down the stairs so there was no way to get passed them.

The kids pool was out of control! Kids way too big and rough were in with the little ones and the color of the water was pretty concerning as well. The store selling all of the Disney products was a madhouse after dinner. And, unless we missed an entire section of the ship, there really didn't seem like there were many shops on board. The food choices were very disappointing but I thought the food ok. Nothing special. Except for the one night at Palo. That was worth the extra money and we would have gone there every night if that were an option. The buffet was pretty small too.

Our room was a good size but the layout was odd and you had to walk sideways to get around the bed. I've never been in a noisier room either. There was so much creaking and cracking as the ship rocked during the night. I was surprised I felt the ship move as much as it did. I don't know if that's normal for an aft room but I think I'll try to stay mid ship in the future.

Ok, now for the most disappointing part. After the first night, my daughter-in-law started getting bit by something during the night. The second day was even worse and my stepdaughter and grand kids also had bites. Their room was checked out several times but they were told nothing was found. Finally, 3 nights in to the cruise and after my husband had spoken with the person in charge, they were moved to a new room, their clothes were washed and dry cleaned, they were given two bottles of wine, toys for the kids and their medical paid for. I think the only reason a new room was available was because they had to medivac someone off the ship earlier in the day.

To end on a good note, the kids program was wonderful! They all enjoyed the time they spent in the lab, etc.. They are all 3 years old. The spa services were also great.

Publication Date: 04/26/14