Ruby Princess Cruise Review by rolltide1971

Ruby Princess
Member Name: rolltide1971
Cruise Date: April 2014
Cabin Number: C215
See More About: Ruby Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Loved It!

Point of View: I'm a 42 year old woman and took this cruise with my 24 year old niece.

Good points: This was my first time with Princess. I booked through Expedia and let the cruise line choose our room. I paid for an interior, basic cabin (no windows). To our surprise, they upgraded us for free to the midsize balcony room which would have costed us about $400-500 more.

Comedian and magician were great. Movies under the Stars was great. You do need to get there about 30-45 minutes before it starts to get a good seat. Most are taken about 15 minutes before it starts. The movies were recent ones unlike Carnival where they can be 5-8 years old. RB showed Captain Phillips, Gravity, Walter Mitty and a few other movies that were released in the last 6 months.

I attended a Palm Sunday nondenominational church service led by the cruise director. There were only 20 in attendance but we sang a few songs, did a reading and had a small sermon. The service only lasted 40 minutes but it was really good.

The food in the Horizon Court was surprisingly good. Much better than the one offered on Carnival lines. We only ate in the formal dining room twice because the food in the Horizon Court was just as good. ON the Carnival Ship we always ate in the dining room because the food wasn't that good in other places. Ice cream is excellent. Tastes more like gelato than soft serve ice cream. I found that all of the staff were very friendly. The goofy photos with staff dressed up like natives, etc was offered but the pushy feel you get with Carnival wasn't there. Coffee bar was great and their prices are cheaper than Carnivals and Starbucks. Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze. They really have their act together. We went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. They used the first come, first served number system for Grand Cayman to board the tender boats. It went very smoothly. Carnival should do theirs this way. I booked excursions on my own which I will now do in the future. I saved money and had plenty of time to make it back on the ship. I booked through Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman and Nachi CoCom in Cozumel.

Based on the photos and video of the ship, I was nervous that this would cater to a much older clientel and there wouldn't be any activities that I enjoy. But, the comedians were great, movies were great and we had a great time. I sailed with Carnival Magic last year and thought it was great. But, it was the little touches on this cruise that will keep me coming back - the fact that they offered a church and Passover Seder service (morning BIble studies were also offered), non pushiness of sales, good food options ( I found no powdered eggs on this cruise) and up to date movie offerings. I will sail with Princess again.

Publication Date: 04/25/14