Nautica Cruise Review by BY THE C

Member Name: BY THE C
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Beijing
Destination: Asia
See More About: Nautica Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Nautica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nautica Deck Plans
Nautica shame shame

My wife and I just completed your Ode To The Emperors cruise 3/10 to 3/31 on the Nautica. Cabin 4049.

We have taken earlier cruises with Oceania and Nautica which were great experiences.

Needless to say the disappointments on this 3 week cruise needed to be addressed as we are not sure all the problems were documented by the crew and staff.

I don’t mean this letter to be picky as we all know everything doesn’t go right all the time but when the problems repeat themselves they need to be addressed.

I’m sure your aware we boarded the Nautica with a note on our bed that the ship had docked with a major case of N. virus on board. This problem was spread through out the ship for the first 10 days. For sure you did not plan this but knowing this at time of sailing made the experience very uncomfortable. However, the condition of the room could be avoided. Many of the doors on the closets were falling off their hinges and generally a very tired room. (the fact that you were going to refurbish the Nautica after our cruise did not make it right.)

One of the best things Oceania does (till now) is give their guests a wine and dining experience to be proud of. On this cruise something happened that again you must be aware of as many of the guests had similar experiences.

It started off with the first days (re Virus) where a decision was made ,(and guests were not advised) to over cook all food. Rather than remove some items from the menu that should not be over cooked we order Aahi Tuna in Polo and was served well done Tuna. All the meals that were bad I documented with your head of restaurant services Morresimo. At least a third of the dinners we had warranted comments to the chief. Example sliced duck so badly prepared you could not cut it with a knife. I called the chief out of the kitchen to slice the duck , he could not, picked up the dish and left. Grizzly steak and pork chops so bad I had to remove food from my mouth and put on my plate. How embarrassing with other guests at the table. To be sure the staff was very apologetic and tried to correct the situation but in most cases they made it worse. Example there was Coq Au Vin on the menu one evening (I love Coq Au Vin) so I convinced all the guests at our shared table to order it. The dish was served room temperature. I call the head waiter over explained the problem , he apologized took all the servings back to the kitchen , returned with a new order in very hot dishes but alas the food was still room temperature. Rack of lamb turned out to be 2 baby chops not a reasonable serving. I think I’ve made my point cold food bad preparation etc.

Just a word about your tours. Example highlights of Nagasaki $135 a person turned out to be a bus ride to the peace park (15 minutes) 2 hours their and back to the ship. What highlights? Tours over priced surly leaves a bad taste.

In closing, the sailing was nice (captain knew his way) ports of call get thumbs up. Staff adequate, earlier cruises we thought seemed better trained.

We have cruised enough to know a difference and surely Oceania has their opinion as well.

If you think we are much to picky for Oceania we would like know that as well.

Hope there will be a next time.

Publication Date: 04/23/14