AmaBella Cruise Review by caripito: A lovely elegant delicious trip

caripito
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on AmaBella Europe - River Cruise Cruises

A lovely elegant delicious trip

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

I have long wished to be in the Netherlands during the tulip time at the Kerkenhof Gardens (sp) and so this trip was a dream come true. I did find that my disability in walking spoiled much of the trip for me but I did have a wheelchair available for some key side trips. However, I don't think I will repeat such a trip and that saddens me. Nothing else bad to report - only joys!

Our stateroom level two was comfortable if a bit tight during dressing. Well thought out storage, comfortable beds, and chairs and work desk. Nice big windows if often facing a competing river boat tied up by the dock.

I enjoyed the safe grab bar and small shower after the deep tubs and elaborate plumbing in Italy, our trip prior to this. Our very honest room steward keep it perfectly in order with towel animals on the bed most days to amuse us. Lots of mirrors. We only enjoyed the balcony one time but we were glad we hadn't stayed with our original choice of the lower level suites. More

The key to our enjoyment of the trip was the staff! They really seemed to like their work and therefore made us feel welcome and appreciated. A request for anything was very cheerfully seen to. Since they work almost around the clock for 7 days their attitude is remarkable. The cruise manager, Peter Whitehead, is a gem! So amusing, helpful, etc. I said before that the only way to improve him would be to clone him! Even his end of the trip tasteful discussion of the gratuities was enjoyable and would encourage generosity from anyone.. I liked that the Captain was willing to give time to address the passengers on more than one occasion. There were lots of little touches such a rose for each lady on the first night, tulips on the tables and in the rooms and the opportunity to dine at least once in the smaller upper level special dining room. The introduction by the Captain of the crew set a tone of appreciation of them on more than one occasion. The servers in particular were amazingly gracious and friendly to us at all times. Sure must be hard to do!

And I haven't even mentioned the best part - the wonderful dining options from dawn to after I was fast asleep. I am overweight and always feared a cruise imagining overwhelming amounts of overly fattening food that I could not resist. The cuisine options on this cruise were like magic! One could eat all 5 courses at dinner enjoyably and not feel overly fed. A good variety always attractively served with freely flowing wine. What more could one ask? Congratulations to the culinary crew! And smiling servers. Et al.

I will recommend AMA to everyone, and only wish I was fit enough to enjoy more of the onshore options. I did get into the "hot" tub one sunny day, and I will say the "hot" tub is not so hot! Almost perfection otherwise. Less

Read more AmaBella cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's AmaBella Review >>

Cabin review: AmaBella 201

I have discussed the cabin in the review but I will do it again. Sufficient room with only a little crowding in the area by the bathroom and closet doors. Bed was very comfortable with a choice of bedding offered. Lot of storage and room to stow large suitcases (we had a lot since on a 3 week trip through Europe) Lots of hangers which helped organize clothes. Attractive with 2 chairs inside, and two on balcony. Almost missed the under bed drawer for clothes but we didn't use/need it. Attractive but would like a slightly more refining choice of paintings. Good lighting. TV and computer basically useless to us but hardly necessary.

City Tour

(5)

Lots of fun, good guide. Hard for me to keep up. Wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

The Keukenhof Gardens

(5)

Perfect weather. Perfect condition of flowers. Wish I stayed longer. Peter reserved wheel chairs which made all the difference in my enjoyment. What a guy!

Van Gogh Museum

dream of a lifetime

Windmills Driving Tour

(1)

horrible, exhausting, poor guide, not worth the time, film terrible, big waste of time and energy