Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by lem4

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: lem4
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Had high hopes for Splendor

It took forever to get through the lines at the terminal. By the time I got on the ship, I barely had time to grab something to eat because it was time for the Muster Drill. Bad start! The drill took twice as long as usual because they did it in English then in French!

A lot of the posts on C.C. was about getting out of the cold winter. All hopes were dashed on day 2 when I got sick with an awful cough which I was told was from the air conditioning. It was freezing on that ship! I could have stayed at home & been freezing for free!

When I went to bed that night I was awakened about 3:15am with a loud banging which literally sounded like construction going on. I called guest services (4 times before someone picked up) & was told he would send security up to investigate. No one ever came. Went to guest services 6:30 am & he told me there was a loud gathering on Deck7 which was disbursed (I was on Deck 6) That wasn't the noise I heard, it was still going on! They finally did send security, she heard it, said she would search for the cause. They couldn't find anything but never got back to me. In the meantime I was getting sicker & not sleeping from the noise. One of the people at Guest Services said there was a report of the noise a year ago! I went to the Medical Center. Dr. gave me 3 medicines to take, One of which made me nauseous & light headed. Just what I needed! Very expensive too. Had to go back a second time to change the med to something that wouldn't make me sicker. I spent a lot of time in my room trying to sleep. It seems my room was over the theater & could hear eveything going on there. After 4 days and nights of very little sleep, they changed my room to 2 doors down. The theater was even louder from this room.

I wasn't going to get off the ship in Ports but the Dr. said I should go & get some fresh air. At least it was warm in Fl. & Bahamas. I didn't have any appetite but what little I did eat wasn't very good at all. One of my friends I met on the first night of the cruise got sick too. Ran into one of girls from the roll calls & she was sick too. I could hear coughing here and there on the ship. I did hear about the ventilation on this ship not being very good. People were complaining about their clothes smelling of smoke even though they didn't smoke or go to the casino.

One of the main reasons I picked this ship was because it said they had deck parties at night. The deck was dead at night except for the movies. Same things running over and over on the screen. I think they had one deck party which I was too sick to go to.

The first sea day coming back I went up to go in the pool. It was so cold up there people were wearing their robes & using towels as blankets! Never did get in the pool. Thought I would try the indoor hot tub but it was drained. What next?

The only good thing I can say about this cruise is LInda and CeCe who I met at dinner the first night & hung out with the rest of the cruise. Ce Ce got sick too.

Good service from the cabin stewards. The waiters & bar people were all good.

I would definitely not return on this ship though. I was thinking about the Breakaway next but there is a lot of complaining about the ventilation on that ship with all the smoke. Right now, I'm through with cruising in general.

I'm still sick here at home.

Publication Date: 04/21/14