Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by BSRLovestocruise

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by BSRLovestocruise
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: BSRLovestocruise
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Don't Sail

After sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas, March 28 sailing, I called Kristin at corp. guest relations to let them know about all the problems we experienced. After a week she came back with the offer of $50 shipboard credit. WOW - what an insult! That didn't even cover one night of having to eat in Chops because the food was so bad in the dining room. For example - the beef stroganoff had a sweet red sauce. The steak (done medium) was so tough it couldn't be cut. Besides the food, we had problems with the front desk staff. Because we were eating dinner exclusively in the “paid” restaurants – and after one meal in Giovanni’s it was exclusively in Chops (which was excellent) - we didn’t want to pay tips in the dining room while tipping in the restaurant. One person at the front desk told my husband it wouldn’t be possible to adjust the tips and that they’d have to remove everything and we’d have to pay in cash. After talking it over with me he went back to the front desk and talked to Monica Alvarez who was able to adjust the tips perfectly as he’d originally requested. That should have been done with his first request.

We also had a problem with our shore excursion to Atlantis. We had booked before getting on the ship and when we looked at the tickets there was a note on them that said the aquarium was under construction. I went to ask what exactly that meant and the guy at the shore excursion desk told me that it meant that part of the tour wouldn’t be happening. This was not mentioned anywhere before we got on the ship. We requested, and were given a refund for this excursion. When we got to Nassau, we took our own transportation to Atlantis, went to the aquarium and after asking about construction we were told it had been finished for over a month. I’m not sure why our shore excursion staff wouldn’t know that. We ended up buying a day pass and doing the tour for $10 less per person. We had a great time there – no thanks to the shore excursion staff.

On Thursday morning of our cruise, about 7:30am, our stateroom filled with the smell of exhaust fumes. I told the cabin steward and he offered to send someone to fix the air conditioning. I told him that wasn’t the problem and the smell was gone but it was very disconcerting to wake up to that. I later found out that other staterooms had the same problem.

The least bothersome, but still inconsiderate, problem was that they held the Crown and Anchor get together on the first port day, while most people were off the ship. We just hit platinum level and I feel that by doing that, the crew was discounting any passenger loyalty.

The huge problem with our sailing was the Norovirus outbreak. While we didn’t personally get it, we were travelling with another couple and the husband did become very ill. That effectively put a damper on the last few days of our vacation. We were constantly reminded of the danger and stressed by the threat of becoming ill. That’s not the feeling we were looking for when we booked this cruise.

As we were leaving the ship we saw all the cabin stewards dressed in what looked like haz-mat suits cleaning the staterooms. They knew it was a serious problem and that will always be my last memory of the Grandeur of the Seas and our really disappointing vacation.

Publication Date: 04/21/14