Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by BSRLovestocruise: Don't Sail

Don't Sail

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

After sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas, March 28 sailing, I called Kristin at corp. guest relations to let them know about all the problems we experienced. After a week she came back with the offer of $50 shipboard credit. WOW - what an insult! That didn't even cover one night of having to eat in Chops because the food was so bad in the dining room. For example - the beef stroganoff had a sweet red sauce. The steak (done medium) was so tough it couldn't be cut. Besides the food, we had problems with the front desk staff. Because we were eating dinner exclusively in the “paid” restaurants – and after one meal in Giovanni’s it was exclusively in Chops (which was excellent) - we didn’t want to pay tips in the dining room while tipping in the restaurant. One person at the front desk told my husband it wouldn’t be possible to adjust the tips and that they’d have to remove everything and we’d have to pay in cash. After talking it over with More me he went back to the front desk and talked to Monica Alvarez who was able to adjust the tips perfectly as he’d originally requested. That should have been done with his first request.

We also had a problem with our shore excursion to Atlantis. We had booked before getting on the ship and when we looked at the tickets there was a note on them that said the aquarium was under construction. I went to ask what exactly that meant and the guy at the shore excursion desk told me that it meant that part of the tour wouldn’t be happening. This was not mentioned anywhere before we got on the ship. We requested, and were given a refund for this excursion. When we got to Nassau, we took our own transportation to Atlantis, went to the aquarium and after asking about construction we were told it had been finished for over a month. I’m not sure why our shore excursion staff wouldn’t know that. We ended up buying a day pass and doing the tour for $10 less per person. We had a great time there – no thanks to the shore excursion staff.

On Thursday morning of our cruise, about 7:30am, our stateroom filled with the smell of exhaust fumes. I told the cabin steward and he offered to send someone to fix the air conditioning. I told him that wasn’t the problem and the smell was gone but it was very disconcerting to wake up to that. I later found out that other staterooms had the same problem.

The least bothersome, but still inconsiderate, problem was that they held the Crown and Anchor get together on the first port day, while most people were off the ship. We just hit platinum level and I feel that by doing that, the crew was discounting any passenger loyalty.

The huge problem with our sailing was the Norovirus outbreak. While we didn’t personally get it, we were travelling with another couple and the husband did become very ill. That effectively put a damper on the last few days of our vacation. We were constantly reminded of the danger and stressed by the threat of becoming ill. That’s not the feeling we were looking for when we booked this cruise.

As we were leaving the ship we saw all the cabin stewards dressed in what looked like haz-mat suits cleaning the staterooms. They knew it was a serious problem and that will always be my last memory of the Grandeur of the Seas and our really disappointing vacation. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 7549

Our cabin was just adequate. We don't spend a lot of time there so we don't need much. There was plenty of drawer space and the closet was ok. The shelf on top of the closet had dust that was leftover from 2010 so I tried not to look up there. The corner of the bed was up against the desk so I had to climb over it to get to my side of the bed. The bathroom was small but adequate. Because it's a raised, small bowl type sink it was impossible to wash my face without getting the entire floor wet though. The temperature control worked very quickly.

Because there wasn't a lot of detailed information on Atlantis when I searched before my cruise, I'm going to talk about the things I would have liked to know.
We initially booked the "Discover Atlantis" excursion through Royal Caribbean. Our tickets were waiting for us in our stateroom when we boarded the ship. On the tickets there was a printed message stating that the aquarium was under construction. I went to ask what that meant exactly at the shore excursion desk and was told that because of the construction there was no access to the aquarium. Since that is more than half of the tour, I asked for, and received a refund. While in port at Nassau, we did some shopping and then took the $4 taxi ride to Atlantis. Our driver was a wonderful, grandfatherly type man who gave us a "tour" during the drive. We tipped him well because of his friendliness. We didn't do any of the water attractions but the pool areas that I saw were beautiful and inviting. There are some absolutely beautiful works by Dale Chihuly in the lobby and on the ceiling of the casino! The entire resort is gorgeous!
We went downstairs to where the entrance to the aquarium is, and there is a desk where they sell the day passes for $49 (which is $10 less than what the ship charges for the excursion). There was no construction and we were told that there was some "updating" but that had been finished for a month. We bought the day pass and within 10 minutes there was a tour leaving. With myself and my husband, there were 5 people so it was essentially a private tour with a well informed, lovely young lady. It took about an hour and 20 minutes to see the aquarium and dig areas, as well as the area around the outside of the hotel and casino. After our tour we went to the casino to meet our friends. I was very disappointed that there wasn't a poker room (after watching on TV all the big tournaments they hold.) They are building a poker room but I didn't find out how soon it would be open. We played the slots for awhile because there were some that I had never seen, but only stayed for about a half hour.
To get back to the ship, we waited for a taxi in front of the main hotel area. The drivers there are not nearly so nice or accommodating. There were 4 of us but the driver wanted to get more people into his van so we had to wait about 15 minutes for more people who wanted to go to the pier. It was still $4/person but we didn't tip this driver at all.
I would definitely recommend a visit to Atlantis - even if it's just to walk around and see all the beauty.

Read 2624 Nassau Reviews