Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Miryam1234

Member Name: Miryam1234
Cruise Date: March 2014
Member Rating   Not Rated
Public Rooms 5+

Too much of everything, too little time

Don't get me wrong; Oasis is lovely ship and we enjoyed our time onboard greatly. The thing is just that it was so overwhelmingly big, posh, full of options that it was somewhat confusing.

I loved my 8th floor JS on the hump. I even took a power nap one afternoon lying on the bed at the balcony. So enjoyable. I loved the location of 8th floor - we walked through Central Park several times a day. Park Cafe breakfast was so close, and Trellis bar, too. That was our spot for the pre-dinner drink as well as the last of the evening.

Evidently there was close to 8000 people on board if you count both passangers and staff. Where were they? We did not queue much, there was no waiting to elevators, coming in and out of the shows or the MTD was a breeze. I remember getting pushed in a line only once; when exiting to Cozumel and we had ship sponsored shore excursion. But it took like 5 mins to get out of the ship and into the ferry (we went to see Tulum Maya ruins - excellent trip, can recommend).

We faced a couple of hickups with service; at dinner and with drinks package. We had My Time Dining and were seated in 4 different tables during the week although we had reservation at same time every night except once. Service was not so smooth as previously - and we have experience on both traditional early dining as well as my time dining. Therer were lots of people hassling around, but somehow they missed serving us. Once we got our drinks only by the time we already had main course on the table. Another time we got one glass of wine, and nothing else. Food came mysteriously to the table carried by serveral servants, some of whom we never saw again during the service. Strange! I think it was a management issue rather than poor service from the waiters. Food was okay, though I am no foodie, so everything that is being served on a plate to my table works fine with me. As long as I do not have to carry my plate and somebody cooks for me. Never went to Windjammer because of this "attitude" of ours. We had breakfast either through room service at our balcony or at Park Cafe.

Another hickup came with the drinks package: I noted three different debits to our seapass account. All of which were sorted out quickly, but it still took me 3 visits to the guest service desk. Annoying, when we had the sticker clearly on the card and I think the information should be in the computer systems, too, should it not? It all runs electronically anyways. Other than these computer clitches (maybe the bartender pushed wrong button or something) service on all bars was fine, even with the drink package. We tipped our favourite bartenders extra only on last night, so that had nothing to do with quality of their service. Drinks package was a good choise for us; we managed to break even every night, without being too drunk or hang over next day. We had good time!

What we did onboard? Oh, absolutely nothing. We saw some evening shows and many other activities just by accident. We chose not to participate on purpose on anything; and therefore this was the most relaxing week since a long time! It was our mutual decision, and we were completely happy not to climb on walls, glide or surf, or to play golf or dodgeball.

Cozumel Tulum Maya tour was only excursion we had pre-reserved. It was fabulous day, and we enjoyed it very much. It was done through RCI and everything worked well.

Overall we were impressed. However, after seing the 3 classes (Genesis/Oasis, Freedom/Freedom and Voyager/Navigator) we both agree that Freedom class is the best, and we can also enjoy Voyager class enough. So it will take time, before we choose Oasis or Allure. Even though it had everything and more, it was just too much and we will be happy with little less!

Publication Date: 04/21/14