Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by HoosierTravelers90: August 2013 Alaskan Cruise

August 2013 Alaskan Cruise

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I took my 70 yr old parents on an Alaskan cruise in August from Seattle. The port was very easy to navigate. We had visited Pikes Market in the morning, so I purchased a huge $5 bouquet of fresh flowers for the cabin. Overall we had a pleasant experience. My mom has hip problems & the wheel chair attendants on & off the ship were wonderful! We enjoyed the dining experiences, especially Teppenyaki which we paid for 1 night. My mom & I thoroughly enjoyed our spa passes, which we purchased as soon as we boarded! Being from Chicago, we especially enjoyed all of the Second City performances.

The mini-suite was large enough for 3 adults. The pull-out queen bed was surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom was fairly large for a cruise bathroom. We had a shower in the tub. The balcony fit 3 people easily & we were able to see whales, dolphins & eagles from our balcony.

For excursions, In Juneau we did the Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon hatchery. The More Glacier was fabulous, but could have skipped the hatchery. Visited Tracy's Crab Shack, which was delicious! Took the Roberts Tram which was pricey, but saw several bald eagles in their nests from the tram.

In Skagway, we really enjoyed the bus & train tour to Carcross (Yukon Territory) & White Pass Railroad. It was all day, but still had time to shop before returning to the ship. The bus driver said she saw the Northern Lights from her house the past 2 nights, so we awoke at 2am to view them, but no luck.

Glacier Bay was fabulous! We could hear the National Parks guides through our TV in our cabin. Great view from our balcony, but wish we would have gone on deck to get professional photos taken, as I saw how great they were afterwards.

In Ketchikan we did the Fjords Boat tour. The crew & clam chowder were wonderful. Just had a little time after the excursion to site see in Ketchikan. We saw the Totem Pole museum, which was just okay. We were disappointed that the Eagle sanctuary had closed & moved to another town.

In Victoria we did the Bouchart Gardens tour. We only had an hour or so to walk around before it got dark. Since it was the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, it was the last fireworks display. It was very crowded, but the fireworks were fabulous!

When we returned to Seattle, we went to the Sky restaurant on top of the Space Needle for a great Sunday brunch. We also toured the beautiful Chihuly Museum with the day & night pass. It looks so much different at night!

Overall it was a wonderful trip & I would recommend it. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 11076

Good location near midship elevator & stairs. Buffet was 1 level up, which was convenient for quick breakfast. Very quiet.