Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Vinnyjake

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Vinnyjake
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: Vinnyjake
Cruise Date: April 2014
Spa & Fitness 5+

Very nice ship with some drawbacks

On a RC cruise I rented a junior suite for my wife and me and a balcony stateroom for two of my adult daughters on deck 10. We all enjoyed this ship and would gladly return.

First the positives: The ship was very clean, the food was adequate. We especially liked the specialty restaurants. Our cabin steward introduced himself to us on day one, asked if we had any special requests and fulfilled them. Our cabins were very clean and comfortable. We were always able to find seating for four in Windjammer and the food was good considering it is a buffet with a wide variety of offerings. The pool area was always crowded and most lounge chairs were taken by 9 AM. Now that RC does not track towels by cabin, people lay towels (and perhaps sunglasses or a book) on the loungers and often don’t return for a couple of hours. If you arrive after 9:30 AM, it will be next to impossible to find two adjacent available loungers. If you want two or more together, then play the towel game. As others have commented, there is insufficient elevator capacity on this ship. My wife has a knee problem and cannot use stairs. The wait for elevators was much longer than on smaller RC ships and a minor irritant. Embarkation was very quick for my wife and I because we had a junior suite. As soon as we arrived, they directed us to an agent for check-in. The agent refused to allow my daughters to check-in with us because they were not in a suite. They waited in line about 30 minutes before getting to an agent. Since I paid for both cabins and had all charges slated for a single credit card via pre-cruise check-in, one would think that RC would have allowed us to check-in together. The ice show was great. Evening entertainment was OK but the comedian did not show up. We liked the layout of the shopping areas compared to smaller ships. Disembarkation was as chaotic as has been reported by others. We used the 7:30 AM self disembarkation where you take your luggage with you. We were at the elevators at 6:55 AM but after waiting for 30 minutes, we had to give up. People were jamming the elevator loading areas and every elevator was already jammed full. My daughters and I carried our suitcases on the stairs from deck 10 to deck 3 and then waited for my wife to join us (she jammed into an elevator and finally joined us). The line on deck 3 was huge and snaked through the dinning room, looped back into the main area, traveled the length of the ship and then snaked to the exit door. The line did move fast and we were through customs and at the taxi stand by 8:30 A.M.

We loved Labadee and rented a cabana on Barefoot Beach. There were very few people at this beach and there was no wait at all in the lunch line. On day one I got our name on the waiting list for a cabana and the concierge called the night before telling us one was available. We loved the zip line. It only took 1 hour and 15 minutes compared to the two hours others have reported. In Jamaica we did the resort for a day and went to the Hilton at Rose Hill and had a nice day there.

Publication Date: 04/19/14