Carnival Glory Cruise Review by djgravity

Member Name: djgravity
Cruise Date: March 2014
Entertainment 5+

Carnival Glory, March 30, 2014

Where do I start? We'll break this down into a few key details. The ship, The staff, Entertainment, Cabin & Stewards & The Food. Our cruise was busy but not sold out so our experience may be very different depending on what time of the year that you cruise.

THE SHIP:

Our last cruise was on the Freedom so the conquest class was very familiar to us. When you walk onto the ship you enter the grand atrium as always. We did not really spend much time there but it was beautiful as always and was pretty active. There was a very diverse selection of entertainment and many times I saw people hanging over the rail from 6 decks above watching what was happening downstairs, I was guilty as well.

The overall layout of the ship is beautiful. Very spacious and laid out very well. Everything flows and there was not a ton of time wasted waiting for anything in any area of the ship. The only real areas of concern were the comedy club (more details under entertainment) and the casino bar during certain shows (again more details under entertainment). The dining room is beautiful and the waiters were fantastic. The steakhouse is very well done and the food and staff were fantastic. The lido deck was busy and the deck parties were very fun but there wasn't a wait for anything, except a deck chair on sea day ;)

THE STAFF:

I have to start with the cruise director. I was expecting Matt Mitcham but he was in a corporate wide CD meeting that week and the assistant CD took over. Everson was AMAZING! He is the only cruise director I have remembered yet, and may be the only one. He was funny, witty and was not like anything I have seen. He came out into the crowd WAY more than I am used to. He was very personable and very approachable. He made many appearances including shaking everyone's hand one night as we were walking into the comedy club. More about him under entertainment, because that's what he was!

Overall the staff was amazing! The easiest way to say it is that I've tipped more to many people on the cruise than ALL of the previous cruises (maybe combined). They nailed all of the things you would expect and have become used to when sailing with carnival. Our room steward was fantastic, we are not very demanding but he was kind, courteous and of course knew us by name on the first day. The room was always clean at the most convenient time.

As far as the bars go, I was pleased most of the time. The Blue Iguana was fantastic any time I was there. The Red Iguana, not so much. It was basically one of the bars that was open all of the time so I am sure the bartenders are overworked (as probably all of the employees are) but they did not seem to be personable at all. In fact kind of snotty, after the first sea day (the day after sailing) I avoided that bar entirely.

I must say the best bartender on the ship (currently) is Diyan at the casino bar. She went way above and beyond for us and was VERY personable. She not only knew us by name and what we drink after one visit she also was so kind and caring. Above and beyond asking how our day was. She asked us how we like "XYZ" excursion and remembered way more than that. Even having the cheers pass and pre-paying gratuity we probably tipped an extra $150 throughout the week to her.

Another mention-able member is at the azure bar. I was talking to him before sail away and let him know we had a meet and greet just after sailing. He said he would not be there but he would let the staff know we were coming. I didn't see him for three days and he asked me how the party was and how the steakhouse was on the first night. I wish I had caught his name. It was staff like him that makes me wonder if they go to the crew bar at night and sit around playing memory games. I can barely remember what I ate for dinner yesterday and these people remember the smallest details about our lives which have no bearing on them at all.

THE ENTERTAINMENT:

I can't say it enough, Everson was the the entertainment on the ship! For being the CD he was VERY down to earth and entertaining. Between being out on deck during the parties, hosting many shows (Sail away show, HASBRO game show, many trivia shows & much more) and just walking around the ship and walking up to everyone he saw and shaking hands, he was fantastic. Above all else, he has a great singing voice. There was no way you could be even the slightest bit upset about being woken up by the CD singing "Good morning, I said good morning! I said a good morning... it's a good morning!" We walked up to the casino bar on a few occasions and could barely get to the bar. Each time that happened it was jam packed because Everson was hosting the trivia. It was not in the least bit because he was the CD, it's because it was him. When he was doing the trivia he had different outfits for each song and really got the crowd going... it was hilarious. I am a DJ that has worked in many places and I would give him half my pay for the night if he would M.C. for me, hell I might work for free for having the honor of working with him. I've only had a few crowds in all my years of doing this that sang along and partied as much as he was able to make happen in a few minutes.

Sadly we did not do any of the "main" shows on this cruise so I do not have any advice there. We did however make both of the HASBRO game shows and they were hilarious. The first one the host was great, enough that we went to the second. That one was hosted by "Dr. E.", Everson... and it was just that much better. I danced around like a fool trying to get picked, but I didn't. I guess that's my only regret ;)

As far as the comedy goes, they were hilarious. This was our first time officially being in the "Punch-liner comedy club presented by George Lopez" I caught one show early in the cruise and it was very funny, but I cannot remember the comedians name, I guess that says something. Then, came the second half. One of the comedians missed his flight and Macio took over most of the shows. He did 8 separate shows in just a few days. He not only did his shows but filled a couple shows of the other guy. I tried to make the first couple of late shows he did and was met with standing room only, or worse, told it was too full. It was to the point that on the last sea day his show was moved to the main show room. I have to say I very much enjoyed his show but again Everson (who opened for him) I think stole the show.

The deck parties were a blast! I've so glad that they have updated it! (Last few cruises it was the same 3 songs and the party was over). For the deck party they played the usuals (cha-cha slide, wobble, etc) and many new ones. In fact I learned a dance or two on this cruise.

I must also comment on the wait staff, the shows were almost every night (that we attended) and they were a lot of fun.

The entertainment personal was great on the cruise, Sara held many of the trivia contests and was out on the Lido for many of the deck parties. She is the only one I can remember by name.

Last but not least, the bad. There was some "John Mayer" wannabe that was sent out to the deck everyday around 4:00 to apparently end the party and clear everyone out before dinner or "big screen" movies. I'm not sure what else I could describe his role besides that. Just after a deck party where everyone is going crazy day after day he showed up and just slowed everything down so much that the deck cleared.

CABIN:

I've done a balcony before but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was mid-ship lido and was in the perfect location (9266). It was right next to the elevators. We did hear people passing from time to time but it wasn't bad. We heard the kids but at least that stopped at a decent hour. The only complaint I can have there is that the room steward was setup outside our cabin everyday for cleaning and they made some noise from time to time. It was never that unbearable though. Although there was a little noise I would never trade the convenience of the room for a quieter one anytime. From almost anywhere on the ship if was convenient from our room and it was so easy to get anywhere. The last port day they did tell us the balcony was off limits for deep cleaning from 8:45-12:00. While I appreciate the fact they were cleaning I thought they could do it in another way aside from forbidding us from the balcony that we paid dearly for. Although I did have to laugh later that night when the seas got a little rough and the balcony looked worse after they cleaned it then it did before they started. No hard feelings, I know they want to clean it at the last port so we can get on faster instead of cleaning it while we are waiting.

As far as the room goes, our steward was great. As I said earlier he nodded and called us by name on the first day. The room was very clean and they were on top of it.

FOOD:

Wow, isn't this a troublesome subject? This is one that everyone has a problem with. What is wearing? Why would she wear that? On our cruise... The Fantastic Four showed up to the dining room on formal night. Maybe not all of them, but some of them. Yes, I wish I had pics.

That being said, The American Table is not great. I felt that the menu was not as good as it used to be. Although while everything on the menu has been good, I prefer the old menu. In general the selection is strange and not very enjoyable. I can remember in the past I had a hard choice between 3 or 4 choices on dinner. This cruise I was trying to figure out what I would eat. I guess that's the reason this is a test.

As far as dessert goes I had the melting cake 3 times on this cruise, 2 out of the 3 times it was chocolate cake, not melting cake. The last time it was as delicious as always.

Overall, I would give the Glory a 9/10. I enjoyed it and had very few complaints, most of them were petty anyways. Feel free to leave me feedback or questions!

Publication Date: 04/19/14