Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Raracruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Raracruiser
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: Raracruiser
Cruise Date: March 2014
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

Wowed, but not in a good way

This was my 5th RC cruise, and I've always had great experiences before so I expected this one to be the same. It's quite a large ship, but similar to the Explorer class which we've been on a few times. The ship itself is quite nice. I didn't travel with children, but the entire middle of the ship was a water park for them, and there seemed to be so much for them to do that they were occupied and happy. So, it's a great family ship for sure.

The food was just MEH. I've had much better on the other Royal Caribbean ships. The quality of the beef served in the main dining room has gone down hill. Since we don't eat seafood there were not as many options for us. Instead of fresh fruit, they always had a chilled fruit soup, except for one night. Not a great variety for appetizers and the desserts were too many spongy cakes and mousse type cakes. I would have preferred just a normal piece of cake. The Windjammer was always crowded and the variety was severely lacking. Most days I ate the same thing for lunch. We did like the ice cream cones on the Lido Deck, and the pizza was ok.

The gym was very nice with plenty of equipment. The first day we got there late and couldn't get treadmills, but the other days didn't have a problem.

The ice show was great, as were the comedian, the ventriloquist, and the country band. The singers and dancers were boring. Their shows were nothing exciting.

The formal days were both on port days, instead of sea days, which seemed to make it a rush to get ready.

Our weather was great, the ports and excursions were all good.

I wouldn't say this was my favorite cruise, but it was acceptable, until the last day. I came back from the gym and was in a hurry to get upstairs being the last sea day and last day of the cruise. I should have locked my IPOD into the safe like I normally did, but I took it off and forgot about it. I left it on the dresser, and I never saw it again. Since our cabin steward Devlin (on the 7th floor) had not yet cleaned the room, and he was the only one in there I am sure he took it. In the process of packing and not going to the gym any more I just forgot about it until I got off the ship and onto the bus and reached into my bag and found it was not there. I realized I had left it on the dresser. Of course I could not get any satisfaction with the cruise line and they basically told me I'd never see it again and there was nothing they could do, and they didn't have proof that it was stolen. It is disappointing to me that the person you trust to clean your cabin can walk off with something and not be held accountable. I've been on many cruises and never had something stolen. So, please beware of your cabin steward. I learned an expensive lesson and I hope everyone remembers to lock up their valuables.

Publication Date: 04/18/14