Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by kwaag: Loved the Epic

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Loved the Epic

Sail Date: April 2014

Best ship yet for us (4th cruise). Highlights:

1) Top-notch shows. Circ de Solei rivaled the shows we've seen in LV (minus the big stage effects). Despite the smaller space, the quality of the show was the level you'd expect from circ. The same can be said of The BlueMan Group. Having quality shows is a game changer. No longer somewhat cheesy half-baked affairs, the evenings are a worthy event.

2) The food was consistently excellent. All you can eat lobster tail night in the buffet? I expected quantity would supplant quality, but these were as good as any fine restaurant (I ate 3 if you must know). The specialty restaurants were also above expectation. I did not have anything less than a delightful meal the entire time. At the other end of the spectrum, pizza delivered anywhere 24/7 for $5 delivery fee. Basic, but easily satisfies a craving.

3) Wide variety of activities. All the usual, plus bowling, billiards (first time doing either on a ship. In neither More case was my game adversely affected, probably helped). Bonafide climbing wall, professional quality Sport Court with actual organized tournaments. Pub style bars with games (pool, darts, air hockey, etc.). It might sound inconsequential, but I saw many adults (including ourselves) having a blast and laughs. That beats watching bad Karaoke which, for better or worse, they also have. Last, but not least, the SLIDES....3 of them, the largest of which throws you into a big cup shaped vortex of water, spinning around a couple of time and then drops you into a shoot. The adults enjoyed it, the kids couldn't get enough.

4) Casino- the biggest afloat, so they say, and I wouldn't argue. Huge with lots of tables and games, so it was never over-crowded.

5) Staterooms (we had a mini suite)- These don't seem to vary much ship to ship, so I can only say as good as any. One difference was a tremendous amount of cabinet and closet storage. My wife and I had plenty of separate space for everything and didn't even use a third of the available space.

6) Service- Nothing to say, which means it was excellent.

Some lowlights

1) Elevators- very busy at peak times. You could wait for a second or third car. Jump on the less popular direction and hang on for the ride. Or do what I often did and take the stairs, thereby working off a couple of lobster tails. A Fore and an Aft bank, probably could've used one in the middle.

2) Internet- the internet cafe was largely unattended and I saw many frustrated people looking for help. Charges to print you boarding pass. I think we've come to expect at least that, and again, it angered a good number. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11077

Very nice room with an abundance of storage. Seating area and desk space were handy. Over-sized shower was a plus. Quite, well kept and good service.