Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by Travelgrandma10: Good cruise overall

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Good cruise overall

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was our 2nd RCCL cruise. The first was on the Navigator of the Seas and we loved the ship, the staff and crew and everything else. This cruise on the Legend of the Seas was a 10 day of the Southern Caribbean and we were not so impressed with the ship, being a much smaller vessel. Since we just took a HAL cruise to the Panama Canal, I will be making a lot of comparisons.

The service on RCCL is excellent, from the cabin steward to the wait staff in the Windjammer and main dining room. Our head waitress would tell us if a menu selection was not so good so we could make another selection. I really appreciate this, because the description does not always match reality.

The food on this ship was lacking in quality. I usually eat a salad at lunch and this was good and varied, but the breakfast and lunch buffet were often poor to mediocre. For the most part, the deserts were not worth the calories in them and there was no real ice cream (only soft serve) like there is More on HAL. It’s a minor thing, but they used table spoons for the soup instead of soup spoons.

We didn’t send any laundry off as the bag of laundry cost $30, but you could only put underwear, pj’s and t-shirts, no pants, blouses or shirts.

They had shampoo in the shower, but it was so watered down, it was almost useless.

RCCL did provide an “Enrichment Seminar” which was excellent. A retired Navy officer gave presentations about waves, whales, hurricanes and Seafaring Lore & Legend. HAL would do well to provide this service.

The entertainment was varied and superb! They had 3 production performances by the singers and dancers as well as an ariel performance in the atrium. The 2nd and 3rd productions were the best. The Tribute to the Temptations was fabulous! The only complaint is that there is no Country Western music represented in the main entertainment.

I have one major complaint with RCCL is that there was no Fox News or even regular network stations. The only news stations were CNN and HLN and they’re horrible!

I attended the stretch class almost every morning which as good and went to one total body conditioning, which was brutal. Liviu, the fitness instructor was knowledgeable and had a good personality. Although English was not his first language, he gave excellent instruction for the exercise sessions. The gym or fitness center is small and weight equipment is sparse and old. However, there appeared to be adequate tread mills, elliptical and other aerobic machines.

When we weren’t on a shore excursion, I spent my time in the covered pool area. This place was quieter than the main pool area and had lots of chaise lounges with pads. Also in this area was the park café, so I could get a cold or hot beverage without having to walk a long distance. Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas 2570

Nice room with adequate storage. We like an ocean view room.

Island Tour

(5)

The tour guide, Ricky, did a great job in explaining the culture and history of the island. The group was small and the tour was well organized. Again, Shore Excursions is the way to go. I recommend this tour.