Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by HSHILLER: Dissapointment for your Money

Norwegian Breakaway 2
HSHILLER
Member Since 2014

Dissapointment for your Money

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

FOOD:

The food was delicious - we did not try any of the Specialty restaurants.

UPON CHECK IN:

My husband and I arrived in our stateroom 10710 to drop off additional luggage. We noticed that our room had pieces of potato chips on the floor, and a Skiddles wrapper by the bedside. In addition, there were hand prints and smudge marks all over the sliding closet doors, a round and sticky purple ring from a cup on one of the night tables, and to top it off, a condom wrapper on the floor next to the bed near the sliding balcony door. Some bathroom essentials were also not replenished.

I then marched down to Guest Services to complain. A condom wrapper is THE LAST thing a person wants to find while entering a guest room. I explained this to your Guest Services and received a whole bunch of "I'm sorries." This was unacceptable. We were later greeted by a Supervisor who also apologized repeatedly for the lack of cleanliness, and we were then advised that our More room would be thoroughly cleaned again.

GREAT STIRRUP CAY:

Under normal circumstances I would not complain, but this was the second time in a row that NCL had NOT stopped at their private island. Back when we cruised with NCL (Jewel) in October 2012, we were informed that we would not be making the highly anticipated stop to Great Stirrup Cay. Only this time, the Breakaway waiting until literally the “last minute” as we slowly sailed by the island to announce that we would not be able to stop. Guests pay quite a large amount of money for stops at listed ports – so this was the tip of the iceberg for us. However, NCL seems to always be excited to immediately secure a port at Nassau and spend the night there. I am fully aware of the commission that NCL receives from sales of the potential 3,800 consumers that get off the ship while in Nassau, but NCL fails to realize that not all passengers are looking to shop, nor gamble in the casino in the Atlantis Resort while there is already a casino aboard the ship – so this is technically a waste of a day. A day that had been fully paid for to explore a new port of call.

Apparently the NCL ships do this rather frequently, bypassing their own private island. As I have heard and read about from several other former passengers. To be perfectly honest, after sailing on the Norwegian Jewel for the first time and not stopping at Great Stirrup Cay, that was a major disappointment. I told myself that I would not sail with NCL ever again, but then I figured let’s try the new Breakaway, and give it a second shot, and my employer also endorsed it – and this time we could actually go to the GSC island being that it is not hurricane season, and the predicted weather was looking to be in great shape. What a mistake. Finding out on the very morning that we are supposed to arrive that we cannot get off the ship to board the tenders, was beyond ridiculous. Personally, I expect some of my money back.

After arriving at port Nassau, the shops were about to close down, and there was really nothing else to do with our day. We had now spent a total of about 3 days at sea. We were told that there were some bars and clubs open, but my husband and I are not club people, and we do not drink. So our Wednesday as you can imagine was shot, other than some of the repeat entertainment that was on board the ship. Then we spent the next full day in Nassau all over again. (Yawn)

GUEST SERVICES DESK ABOARD THE SHIP::

We had addressed both the concerns with our stateroom and a separate issue we had with the amount of Onboard Credit we had received, and 3 out of the 4 Guest Services Associates that we spoke with were unprofessional, and did not really seem to care much about what we had to say. One of the gentlemen we spoke with about the onboard credit (he was bald and wearing a white shirt at the time), failed to even establish any eye contact with us. And he maintains a position in Guest Services? We later found out that he was in fact a Supervisor. I am in disbelief. I had been in guest relations for numerous years, and the FIRST thing you want to do is provide eye contact. This gentleman was rude, looking around at everything else while we were speaking to him, and acted as if we were bothering him. Just a suggestion -Perhaps he should not be at the front desk.

When addressing the filth in our room, I also let them know that my Husband wiped down the room in disgust and anger. Yet again, they were apologetic but really offered nothing to accommodate us for the inconvenience.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

I would highly suggest taking another cruise line. All the hype about this ship - and I personally was not impressed. I am certain that I will not sail with Norwegian again. I would rather pay the extra money on air fare and sail As I have already experienced, Disney will bend over backwards for you if something wrong has been brought to their attention. NCL did not even offer us a voucher for a specialty restaurant --nothing. Less

Published 04/16/14

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: 10710

Bathroom was a bit small and so was our Balcony. But other than that, the room was spacious enough to be expected for a ship of this size.

Boring. Unless you take an excursion, you are stuck at the Casino in the Atlantis Resort, shopping, or going to bars and clubs. There is already a casino aboard the ship, and my husband and I are not big drinkers -- so this stop was a waste. We did rent a scooter for the day @ $60 and just drove around Nassau, which was pretty nice. Drove it to Paradise Island, visited the Queens Staircase. Water at Paradise Island was choppy with pretty big waves, so we were not even able to rent a waverunner. But the day was just okay.

Read 2951 Nassau Reviews