Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Procook7: Had a really nice time and glad we went...

Procook7
Member Since 2014
1 Post

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Had a really nice time and glad we went...

Sail Date: March 2014

Here's my overall review/opinion from the cruise...and I nervous before the cruise because I

didn't see very good reviews on the Cruise Critic website...especially about the

food and service.

Our room steward was the BEST. I offered to adopt him. I think he was the hardest working person on the ship. Room was cleaned and refreshed TWICE a day, always with plenty of ice and cute towel animals More and chocolates for the kids.

We thought the food was pretty good in the dining rooms (there are two large dining rooms and

we never had to wait more than a moment to be seated) and the buffet was massive with plenty of variety.

We also avoided most of the "extra charge" specialty restaurants..we did try one. which was a hibachi-cooking table restaurant, and thought the food was no better than what we could get at the complimentary dining rooms or the buffet. We never tried the room service.

The Entertainment was great for the kids with the Blue Man Group and Nickelodeon. My kids aren't into characters but the do offer Character breakfasts and meet & greets. They also offer a Cirque Dreams dinner show that is a significant extra expense and we really debated whether to see it. We heard passengers say the show was great but the food was not...and we decided against it.

They also have a lot of soft serve ice cream machines, that the kids enjoyed helping

themselves to several times a day.

The ship is beautiful with lots of inside atrium levels so you don't feel like you are on a ship. There were even bowling alleys and the fitness center was larger than any that I have seen on land. The waterslides were fun for the kids. And there is a nice area for younger kids water play. The only negatives I saw were: the actual pools are really small considering how many passengers are aboard, the casino was much larger than seemed necessary, and there could have been a more free daytime activities such as trivia and games...there were some...just not that many and they were short, so you could easily miss them.

The camp really looked nice, but our kids in particular who are 9-11 went in one time for two hours and didn't care for it which was unfortunate because then my husband and I could never experience the evening activities...but that's just our kids (who are not easy going). Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11149

We had two balcony rooms next to each other but not adjoining. One for my Husband and son, and one for Me and my daughter. One room for 4 people would have been unbearably small, and even though it says sleeps 3, that would have been tight too, but for two it was fine. Plenty of hanging storage, maybe could have had a few more drawers, but we made due with the cabinets, and luggage can be stored under the beds. The set-up of the room was strange and I didn't love it, but it was fine. It was my first time having a balcony and we sat out a lot...I'm spoiled now. Our room steward was the BEST. I offered to adopt him. I think he was the hardest working person on the ship. Room was cleaned and refreshed TWICE a day, always with plenty of ice and cute towel animals and chocolates for the kids.

Irie Blue Hole

(5)

This company was recommended by a friend. They offer many choices, Made reservation ahead on-line, and they had our names and were expecting us. This port is very organized and it's easy to get on a tour. (Honestly doesn't look like those booked with the cruise line are any different.) The ride is about 1/2 an hour, it was interesting and you see how the people live there. Our guide spoke the whole way...There is a pretty waterfall, you get to jump into the water with several options of where to go in...either from a high jump, a lower jump or even in a cave that goes under the waterfall, and then swing from a tarzan rope in another section. You NEED water shoes...I didn't have them and wish I had. Something else I wish I would have known is that You can ask to stay longer and play in the water (once you get used to the COLD temperature), you can go on the rope again or jump again... but you need to know to ask or they tell you to go to the side and wait for the driver...we waited doing nothing for 45 minutes and then the driver said we could stay another hour and he would come back but we already got dressed. If you don't it's a pretty short excursion if you don't combine it with something else like tubing or Dunn's River falls.