Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by rockinmama07

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by rockinmama07
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: rockinmama07
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Asia
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ticked off the bucket list, should have gone when I retired

Well, this liner had been on my bucket list for 10yrs. I must agree with several other posters, especially about it being a floating retirement home. They told us onboard that the average age is 75, we are in our mid 50's and very active.

Now, dont get me wrong, I like elderly people, but get between a buffet or something free and a senior citizen, and theres a transformation....Ive NEVER come across so many nasty, rude, pushy people in my life. As my hubby says, just because you get old, doesnt mean you get nice...lol

Anyway, I digress. The cabin was nice and adequate for our needs....inside 4th deck aft. No noise at night, close to lifts. I always make sure I dont get a cabin under the entertainment or restaurants. Our steward was very nice, we hardly saw him at all.Our cabin was always clean, towels lovely and fluffy, lots of room for your clothes.

We were assigned to the Brittania restaurant, 1st sitting. Our waiters were very friendly and attentive. The food was excellent, the drinks were very expensive.

The shows were under par, except for a few external entertainers that blew our minds. We went down to the ballroom every night to dance. the band was good. The carribean band was awesome and really got the crowd going.....well, the ones under 60 anyway!!! one of the Ukranian waitresses was awesome, she brought us water without being asked when we were dancing, and was very friendly, unlike some of her collegues.

The planitarium was good, if you could find a seat that worked. We saw 5 movies, which was something for us as on other cruises we never got to the cinema. Went to a series of lectures about the universe, they were good, read 5 books, slept a lot, read again, slept again.........getting the picture? not much in the way of entertainment, but I guess at 75+ all you want to do is sleep and maybe read...lol

This was a real let down for us, as we are so active, we did get bored and were well and truly ready to get off.

The shore tours were ok and expensive. We were 5 hrs late in Shanghai, due to fog...I know not their fault, but they should have offered eveyone a refund on their tours. We missed the gardens as they were closed by the time we got there, they took us shopping, the tower was moot as we couldnt see anything, they took us shopping again...didnt even get to the Bund.....all in all it was a $268US shopping trip, which we could have done for $78US. Not impressed as were 90% on the tour.

All in all it was way under our expectations. Shes a grand old lady, but thats where it stops. There is a class distinction on the ship and at times I felt I was a steerage passenger. I would definitely not reccomend this cruise to fun loving Aussies or anyone under 70.

I may one day go on her again when Im in my dotage, but even then I would probably not find much to do

Publication Date: 04/16/14