Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Prada81

Norwegian Epic
Member Name: Prada81
Cruise Date: April 2014

Disappointed

Let me start by saying, I don't typically write reviews, but I felt a sense of responsibility to share my experience.

First the good -

The cabins are relatively spacious compared to other cruise lines and we had a nice desk which we utilized quite a bit during our stay. Also, our room attendant Josep was really good, made a point of remembering our names, greeting us every morning and keeping the ice bucket filled. Oh, and the best part, there were Haribo gummy bears in the mini bar.

Gym

The gym was nice and spacious with plenty of machines and free weights. The first day of the cruise was like Jan 1, but it thinned out and was extremely easy to get on a machine thereafter.

That's about all I can think of for the positives.

The bad-

Beds

If you have any sort of low back pain, be prepared to wake up every morning in excruciating pain. The beds are horrible. Essentially they are a foam pad on a cot. Be prepared to spend ample money on booze if you are going to get any decent rest.

Food- if you like sub par mediocre food, this cruise is for you. The food was awful. I will say the buy up restaurants are quite good if you are willing to fork over the cash. We went to Cagneys, Moderno, le Bistro and La Cucina and they were definitely worth the upgrade. I certainly wouldn't rank them 5 star quality but in comparison to the buffet and other restaurants they certainly seemed that way at the time.

Customer Service-

Not impressive. The servers at the restaurants were slow and rarely came by to check on you. If you used the dining room in the buffet, there was never silverware available so you had to steal it from other tables. This is consistent with the other reviews I have since read.

Pools-

What pools? You mean those two tiny puddles in the middle of the 15th floor deck. All I really want to do on a vacation is sit by the pool with a drink in hand. This proved difficult given the size of the pools and the fact there are only enough lounge chairs to accommodate half of the ship -finding a decent spot was like winning the lottery. I spent the majority of my days on a lounge chair stuffed in the corner next to the basketball courts inhaling the fumes from the ships smoke stack.

Not great. The Blue Man group was probably the best. The Second City was pretty lame - definitely the C team gets sent to do the cruise ship entertainment.

Other than the items I mentioned, it was a nice relaxing vacation.

Publication Date: 04/16/14