Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Ouvrou: Needs a revamp

Needs a revamp

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

Having read some negative reviews about the Asian cruises on Mariner, I can truelly say some are justified, but other not.I have just returned from 2 back to back cruises out of Singapore - a 5 night to Bangkok & back and a 8 night from Singapore to Shanghai. On the 5 nighter, there were probably about 80% Asians, but on the 8 nighter, the reverse (mostly Aussies, Brits and Germans). Quite a relief not having the very loud and constant "OMG" in your ears!!!.

The food was varied, although mostly the same each day and I found a lack in fresh and varied salads and cold meats. The Toast at Breakfast was inedible - so hard, you couldn't even cut it. The pre-prepared Omelettes were a bit of a let down. I have only previously cruised with NCL and Orient Lines and there you had your Omelette prepared infront of you to your taste. Having said that, no one went hungry. The alternate dining venues were quite over priced especially Chops Grill (seeing as the New York Strip steak was More available in the Main Dining Room at no extra cost). We did however enjoy Giovanni's Table where the service and food were excellent. It would seem that RCCL are not as fussy on clendiness in the Buffet (Windjammer) other lines, as there were no spoons in the Chilli Sauce on the tables and people were using their licked forks to spoon on the sauce on their food. There was also rather a lax attitude to the hand sanitiser. People were also filling their own drinking bottles from the water cooler. Seating in the Winjammer during all meals was a nightmare - extremely difficult to find a table.

The My Time Dining in the Main Dining Room was very good. Our Assistant Waiter , Simon was very good. The food was also varied and very tasty

The cabin 9602 (Balcony) was very large especially the sitting area (larger than NCL), but the bathroom had some rust spots and needed a repaint. Unfortunately the balconies were not washed during the 13 days and the balestrades were sticky and in desperate need of a paint. Another gripe was that there is only a kettle in the cabin for making Tea. If you want coffee, you need to phone and order from Room Service, which took quite some time. Early morning coffee orders were also rather hit and miss, as you have to state the time required, the night before and the time frames are a half and hour.

Our cabin Attendant Eric, was very friendly, accommodating and quite frankly very good.The cupboard space was ample with lots of hangers

Wi Fi on the ship was very erratic and expensive. The Ice show was wonderful, a must see. I found the shopping rather limitedalthough more upmarket than other cruises I have been on. Would have liked some clothing (not the normal Cruie T-shirt and Sweatshirts).

The Golf Simulator was very expensive at $25, especialy seeing as the equipment was very old. It was also rather difficult to find a time when it was open - there just never seemed to be anyone there.

Unfortunately I had to make use of the Medical Facility, but they especially Nurse Maria, were amazing. Thankfully I had taken our the Cruise Care Insurance (actually didn't have a choise as it was added to my booking), as their charge just to see a doctor is $110.

Overall, I had a good time - but then I LOVE Cruising!!!. Would I go with RCCL again, I doubt it as I have been strugglig for 2 weeks to get a reply from them for incorrectly billing me on my Credit Card after I had disembarked for a purchase which is not mine. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas 9602

Very spacious cabin, with ample cupboard space and enough hangers. Balcony never washed and balastrade sticky. Bathroom and balcony need a paint. Mattrass firm and bedding clean. Cabin lacks a coffee maker - having to order from Room service is a no no. Cabin Attendant Eric was great