Costa Pacifica Cruise Review by mspeiden

Member Name: mspeiden
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Marseille
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Costa Pacifica Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Costa Pacifica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Pacifica Deck Plans
Costa Cruise 3-28 thru 4-5

We started in Milan and booked the transfer to Savona. This did not start well. We were booked on the 12:00 bus and we arrived at11:00. There was a 11:00 bus but there was no room so we had to wait. No big deal. They bus arrives at 12;10. We board and the bus goes to terminal 2 to pick up passengers. We think we are on our way but no we get called back to terminal 1 to pick up late passengers. It is now 1:10 and we have a 2 1/2 hour ride ahead of us. Around 2:00 the driver tells us that we are taking a 45 minute rest stop and pulls into a rest area with a store and we wait there for 45 minutes. We were supposed to arrive at the ship at 3 and we arrived at 5. We arrived just in time for the muster drill. The food are closed at 4. I think that was ridiculous and am going to email Costa.

This cruise has passengers getting on at Savona. Marsielles, Citivetchi and La Speza. The day you arrive you need to do the life boat drill. It is long about 25 minutes as they toot the horn and give the directions in six different languages. But we need to be safe.

Day 1: Marseille

We woke up and heard an announcement that the long shoremen were on strike and that we would be tendered in. They used the life boats to get us back and forth. We had booked an excursion thru the boat and took the tender got on a bus and went to a fort and to the basilica of Notre Dame. It was beautiful. We also rode the ferris wheel.Then we headed to the tender back to the boat. The sea had become extremely choppy when we reached the boat they grabbed your arm and pushed you on to the boat. Quite scary. In my opinion we should not have gone to Marseille that day. was not impressed with Marsilles glad I went but would not return.

Day2: Barcelona

I loved Barcelona. It is so quaint and lovely. We got on the hop on hop off bus. We got off the tram and rode the tram the fort. We got back on the HOHO bus and did the green route. We the proceeded to walk an open air market. We passed the Gaudi house but we did not have enough time to do the tour. Barcelona is a city you can just walk. The HOHO was Ok but not necessary. This was my favorite stop.

Day 3: Mallorca

We did a tour thru Costa. It was English and French at first it was weird with the two languages but the guide did a good job. We went to the bull fighting ring and to the Pearl Factory. I was disappointed in the pearl factory I thought we were going to see them making jewelry and it turned out to be a store with just two windows with men working. I wasn't so disappointed that I didn't buy any thing tho. I bought a small bracelet. Then we headed to the Palma Cathedral. It was beautiful. when I first walked in it took my breath away.

Day4 At Sea

We have cruised before but on this cruise there is no organized get togethers. They do not have Hairy Chest competitions. Trivia, etc. A lot of people had cards and just sat and played. We sat by the pool and relaxed.

Day 5 Rome

We used Rome in Limo and it was terrific. A little pricey but worth it. Rome is about an hour and half drive from the port. So travel time is a lot of this trip .We saw the Collisium, The Pantheon, The Forum, Trevi Fountain (which I loved except for the people trying to give you flowers and then make you pay for them. That was annoying) and the Spanish steps. We stopped for lunch at an outdoor café and headed to the Vatican. We only had an hour at the Vatican Museum. It was all beautiful and breathtaking. Traffic in Rome is horrendous and the narrow streets I was so glad someone else was driving.

Day 6 Florence

We booked a tour thru the boat. This one was a disaster. Florence itself is grand but our tour not so much. First of all it is a 2.5 ride each way that is 5 hours. The tour was 9 hours so essentially you only have 4 hours touring. On the bus it was English and French with very little English. :(. When we got to Florence we had an English guide. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable almost too knowledgeable. She talked too

much. Florence was very crowded and it was hard to keep everyone together and to hear her. I liked Florence but not too happy with our tour. At the end we were supposed to meet at 3 and a passenger just decided to shop till 3:45 so that was annoying. I thought we should have just left her there. If you want to see Florence the boat is not the way to do it. It is too far and in my opinion it shouldn't be offered because of the distance 160km each way.

Leaving

Again the bus back to Milan. Again wait for 2 passengers who were 45 minutes late but we made it to Milan.

MY thoughts

This is not like any cruise I have been on. The food was not good. It was like eating at a Dennys restaurant. A mediocre chain restaurant. The ship was clean. We spent a lot of time at the pool. They have an adults only area and they keep kids out not like in the US where they might as well not have an adults only area.

We purchased the all inclusive beverage and had no problems with it except they do not have bar service in the dining rooms. Wine yes but no other alcohol. At first I did not believe the man when he told me.

We did not see any shows. I heard they were Las Vegas like with dancers with little clothes. I can not say as we dii not go.

One thing I found very strange is that in the public bathrooms (not on the ship but every where else) They do not have toilet seats.

The language was not a problem. On the ship the crew spoke English. English was definitely the minority language tho. This was by no means a terrible cruise. It is not what I am used to but we went and had a good time Saw what we wanted to see and came home. Would I choose Costa again? I would probably try another line but if the price was right I would go with them again.

Publication Date: 04/15/14