Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by cityoftinylights

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by cityoftinylights
Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: cityoftinylights
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Norwegian Dawn Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

A little good / a little bad

My wife and I joined my cousin and his wife for the March 30th cruise to the Western Carribean. They are seasoned cruisers, while we were only on our 2nd cruise. Generally, we agreed on our overall impressions.

First the EXCELLENT:

1) The Captain - you will probably never read a review that led with the captain, but one of our days in port (Costa Maya) had gale force winds, and the other 2 ships that were to be in port with us, were not able to dock, and had an extra day at sea. Our captain not only docked, but did so SO smoothly that my seasoned cruiser cousins were absolutely amazed at how little they felt this ship move on this high wave / wind day. The crew was also immensely impressed.

Now the good:

1) We thought the entertainment was top notch. The singers / dancers / house band / aerialists found in the Stardust Lounge entertained us immensely. We loved Tim Kaminsky and the 2nd City Comedy troupe as well. My wife and I found Jose and Patty to be a bit cheesy, but my cousin's liked them, so to each his or her own. There were also several bands / solo instrumentalists on board that were solid, if not spectacular

2) The staff was very nice, although seemed a bit overworked. Our room steward for the 2nd half of the trip was especially solid (more on that later). Customer service made some of the bad "right", of which we were appreciative.

The mediocre:

1) The food was OK. Our cousins said it was the worst of their 9 cruises and it was not up to par to our previous cruise either. That said, it was still as good or better than what you would get at an average restaurant in anytown, USA, so not really complaining here. Small waits, and when you had one, they gave you a voucher for a glass of Champagne. Nice touch.

The Bad:

1) DO NOT BOOK room 5652. It is directly below the galley for the Aqua restaurant and each morning at approximately 2am, it sounded like they let loose the gorilla's on that old Samsonite TV commercial. Honestly, I swear the crew were throwing trash cans at each other for hours, it was so loud. The noise was horrible. It took 4 nights of frustration, but customer service moved us to a balcony room on 9522 that was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. My cousins in the adjoining room 5656 didn't have as much of a problem, but their room was next to the crews night club. The hallway was hopping to the wee hours, but they said they weren't disturbed by the crew noise, but they could hear the galley

Publication Date: 04/15/14