Thomson Dream Cruise Review by BIGMANTAM

Thomson Dream
Member Name: BIGMANTAM
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Barbados
See More About: Thomson Dream Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Dream Deck Plans
Thomson going down hill

This was our 10th cruise and our second for the caribbean.

We flew from Glasgow and on arrival were taken directly on to a bus so no waiting for us so we thought! On arrival at port we were guided into a large what looked like a metal cattle barn, had to wait for over 50 mins in stifiling heat to get embarkation and room cards etc.In the mean time while still standing in the queue we had waiters trying to flog wine packages to us before we could even sit down. Then finally onto ship, on first glance it looked ok but just ok. Room was at the front so got woken up most mornings when going into port at around 6.30, who needs an alarm. I was glad of the engine noise on sea days due to the lack of sunbeds, at least I was up early enough to grab some as there was not enough.

The food in the Orion and Sirens was never warm, it was tepid to cold. Very disappointing. You could purchase an Aberdeen angus steak for £9.95, we used to get steak included but not anymore. We had fatty minute steak with the mixed grill which believe me was definately not as good as it sounds. The desserts were tasteless and nothing like they used to be. All in all food was a big let down.

The entertainment team were very young and to be perfectly honest not very good, although the boys probably thought they were better than they were. I came across a great many passengers who also thought this and many walked out of the few shows performed. The quizzes put on called Think Tank were really awful, some not even making any sense and a very cheap way of trying to entertain guests. The Deck Fest was another sign of cutbacks, I felt I was attending and being treated like a 10year old at a 10year olds birthday party, embarrassing seriously. The cruise director was a good singer and we went to watch him perform and enjoyed it, however the entertainment is up to him and I felt his lack of involvement in other parts really showed. To sum up I would say it was very amateurish.

The waiters had a trolley going around trying to sell anything from cocktails to champagne on the decks in the bars, anywhere they could take them.

The ports of call were nice especially the Dutch Islands and Barabados itself.

To call this a platinum cruise is laughable except I spent my hard earned cash on this cruise and Thomson have cut back so much they are misselling this brand.

I enjoyed my holiday because of the people I was with, and the people I met. After spending a lot of cash on this cruise I was determined not to let the dissapointment get to me but I am afraid myself and friends have sailed on our last Thomson cruise.

Publication Date: 04/14/14